• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 28, 2019

    Age of Empires II In AoE4 the enemy we fight is Climate Change

    Age of Empires II In AoE4 the enemy we fight is Climate Change


    In AoE4 the enemy we fight is Climate Change

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 03:09 AM PDT

    There's Something You Should Know About Me...

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:01 PM PDT

    Joadn??? That you?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 03:57 AM PDT

    New footage of AoE 2 DE released

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 04:24 AM PDT

    You are a villager in AOE2 game and your noob controlling player has left you on idle for centuries. What do you find out about the world and what sort of socioeconomic, political, or astronomical theories etc are you likely to come up with?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    Just a fun exercise. Obviously one would have no outside knowledge and may decide to (or not) start from first principals. Assume that you have complete freedom of movement and access to empirical and analytic faculties but no established body of knowledge.

    submitted by /u/StanisLem3
    [link] [comments]

    Soon™

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 03:26 AM PDT

    So I was watching this documentary when suddenly... Just listen to the background music. Very good taste.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 06:16 PM PDT

    Does anyone know what this dlc do?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 06:37 AM PDT

    Strategy vs Tactics

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 12:50 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I saw a post on here today that asked a question: "Is there a list with all units and counters to them?"

    If you browse this sub you will probably see this question in some form or another a lot.

    If you play the game a lot you will know that there is no simple answer in the form of a list. There are a multitude of factors that affect whether a "counter" is effective.

    I think a quick answer many experienced players try and lean towards is hard and soft counters. For instance you might say skirmishers hard counter archers, rams are a soft counter.

    However, this description brushes over some of the nuance and is, in my opinion, incomplete.

    So that brings me to the point of this post, what is the difference between strategy and tactics?

    This is the definition from google: "Strategy defines your long-term goals and how you're planning to achieve them. In other words, your strategy gives you the path you need toward achieving your organization's mission. Tactics are much more concrete and are often oriented toward smaller steps and a shorter time frame along the way."

    In our example of hard/soft counters you might say: creating skirmishers is a strategic counter to someone going archers. Whereas producing rams is a tactic meant to accompany and empower your existing strategy, say producing camels/halbs any other unit.

    There are many situations where we can look at strategy in tactics with reference to aoe2: Strategy: "I am going to ultimately win the game by disrupting my opponents eco developing my own."

    Tactics: "To achieve this I will flood small groups of knights into my opponents eco to force him to lose villagers or idle them"

    Strategy: "I will create Paladins and Skirmishers to defeat my opponents army of halberdiers and arbalest allowing me to push through into his base"

    Tactics: "My skirmishers will sit behind my paladins and kill the enemy pikeman, my paladins will attempt to avoid the halbediers and attack the arbalest"

    Even if you haven't thought about it specifically, this is ultimately what all of your decisions in aoe2 boil down to. Deciding on a strategy and using tactics to implement it.

    With this in mind, although it may be a nice crutch for newer players to lean on, the idea of a list of counters is not necessarily something that any player should be looking to learn or think about.

    Instead, think about what your opponents strategy is and how to counter it, either strategically or tactically.

    You are playing a 1v1 arabia in castle age you're opponent is making knights. Understanding how to counter your opponent requires an understanding of what your opponents strategy and tactics are. Bearing in mind they may have multiple motivations.

    For instance, knights in small numbers may be a tactical choice, meant to disrupt economy by raiding, pick off small armies and provide some mobility, distracting you while he transitions to another unit composition. Or small tactical groups of knights may morph into a large army of knights, possibly backed by skirmishers and siege forming your opponents strategic plan.

    To counter the first threat there are many options: Small groups of knights may be walled out if the map allows it, a few well placed monks can deter knight raids. These counters work well tactically in certain situations. However, most experienced players will tell you they are poor counters to a large army of knights bearing down on your base. They are not a strategy.

    I guess what I am trying to say is that you must try and think both strategically and tactically to counter your opponents. You need not strategically counter your opponent if you thwart his strategy tactically. There are lots of discussions about the matchup between xbows and knights. They are the two most popular unit choices in castle age and have quite distinct strategies neither of which directly "counter" the other, tactics decide the matchup. Xbow armies may hold to hills to gain an advantage, or use a chokepoint. Knights can use their mobility to strike where the xbows arent. Tactical counters can be deployed defensively or offensively to sway battles or protect at home while you strike at your opponent.

    I realise I may be rambling a bit here so i'll try and wrap it up.

    You must employ both strategy and tactics to succeed. Remember, tactics cannot win you a game, you must have a strategy. Too many times people will say, I made x, they counter y, yet I did not win. This is usually either due to countering an opponents tactics, not his strategy, or employing tactics without any thought to your own strategy. No one ever one a game by making rams to counter archers.

    Recognising the difference between strategy and tactics can help you understand how best to counter your opponent.

    If none of this makes sense I'm sorry, Im drunk.

    submitted by /u/g3v3
    [link] [comments]

    Aftermatch

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 04:22 PM PDT

    Can anyone explain to me what happen to AM? I was watching mbl stream and he said that he doenst wanned to be on Heras team anymore. I whant to know the drama.

    submitted by /u/opaeumsm
    [link] [comments]

    Quick Question about AI in HD

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 11:52 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    My Dad bought me AoC back in the day and my favourite thing to do was to dick around in the scenario editor.

    I used to try and recreate famous battles, build a massive city and lay siege to it, make a mazes, etc.

    I bought HD recently and I really suck at it, I'd rather watch a T90 stream. But I still want to dick around in the SE. Here is the rub, back in the day if I gave my enemy like 300 units it would seek me out and attempt to fuck my shit up. With the new AI they just kind of stand around and unless I force a fight they do nothing, even then it's only units within the line of sight that do anything.

    Help please?

    submitted by /u/yambag2
    [link] [comments]

    Walls, Castles, Towers

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    Perhaps a dumb question, but not something I see a lot of.

    I usually play solo VS AI. Various maps, AI, difficulties. What's the best defense method? As in how do you arrange it?

    I usually have double walls followed by castles right exactly next to each other against the wall. I never bother with towers unless I have a weird defensive space and someone like Teutons.

    submitted by /u/kalvinbastello
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody remember the "remixed" Toplo pranking video?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    Friend and me can't find it, only Episode 1. Anybody have a liink?

    submitted by /u/alternatetwo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment