• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 30, 2020

    Age of Empires II These newbie players are so cute <3 (I was blue, this was a diplomacy game)

    Age of Empires II These newbie players are so cute <3 (I was blue, this was a diplomacy game)


    These newbie players are so cute <3 (I was blue, this was a diplomacy game)

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    Me riding in with my scouts when there's a hole in the wall

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    Chonky bois

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:10 AM PDT

    Noob Thoughts

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    • Spread vilagers equally on each resource. Get at least 1 villager on every gold and stone area if you can.
    • There is a helpful alert to tell you when you need to build more houses.
    • Try and do every upgrade before going up an age.
    • Go up every age and do as many researches as possible before you attack.
    • Remember more researches = higher score.
    • Treadmill crane is the most important technology in the game: your villagers will build every building 20% faster the rest of the game. Think how much time you will save!!!
    • The boars can kill villagers so herd sheep instead. (safer)
    • The best way to take down buildings is Trebuchets. Can only get these on imperial age so best wait until Imperial before attacking anyone.
    • Doesn't really matter what unit you get, you just need more of them than the opponent.
    • Try and mine every gold and stone field you can find before you attack.
    • Get as many attack units as possible before you attack. It's best to have 1 big army than lots of little armies.
    • Don't kill enemy villagers, that's cruel and it's considered poor sportsmanship by other players.
    • Build castles for defense. Use just 1 villager, using more villagers is waste of time when they could be chopping trees.
    • When you attack, don't attack units or villagers, take out the military buildings, then the opponent can't make any more attacking units to attack you with!
    • Get all the upgrades before getting units, that way when you get units they are the best. You don't want to get too many attacking units and not have resources for the upgrades.
    • Archers are the best because you can kill enemy units before they can attack you!
    • Build a stone wall across the entire map, trying to capture as much area as you can for yourself.
    • If you are struggling with a fight, don't forget that you can use your villagers to attack too.
    • Build 1 of every building. Building 2 of any military building is a waste of wood.
    • You need a mix of units in your army: get some archers, some men with swords and some horsemen. And some of those catapult things too.
    • When you build your first castle, get murder holes otherwise your castle can't attack units at its base and the castle is basically useless.
    • If you think you are going to lose, take a few emergency villagers to the corners of the map and create a new town center and try to restart. Never give up!!
    • If you get attacked, ring the bell immediately and save the villagers. Don't let them out again until everywhere in your town is safe.
    • Fill every castle with 20 archers. Then your castles will fire 20 more arrows at enemies!!
    • Don't forget to chop the free trees close to your town center and then you can use that space for farms!!
    • There is a new unit called Seige Tower that lets you drop units over an enemy wall!! It's regarded as the best unit in the game. Although some players consider it cheating.

    If you do all these things like me, you will get up to at least 700 ELO. (I think you start on 10). Top players are only 2000 ELO, so you are nearly half way there! Just keep collecting points from every game and they soon add up.

    submitted by /u/matthewfelgate
    [link] [comments]

    Ever wondered how to surprise your opponent with a sneak base in the back? Just don't bother to take the long way around! Dive right into it! Surprise missclick ballsy villager move, whoop!

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:28 AM PDT

    Suggestion for making longswords actually useful.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Hi all. Militia line is now only used for maa rushes and late game trash fights. And even then only those civs with massive infantry bonuses (Goths, malian, japs and Malay) actually use them (not counting countering eagles).

    The main causes of this are: - Slow mobility and low pierce armor making them not very useful at raids and defending against them (knights run away, crossbows melt them) - High upgrade cost - costing food where it is the most important resource.

    Personally, I would leave the first one untouched, to not destroy the balance too much but address the second one.

    Longswordsman upgrade cost 300food and 105 gold. Add to that arson (150food and 50 gold), squires, infantry armor upgrades (300 food and 100 gold), supplies ( 150 food 100 gold) and attack upgrades (370 food and 120 gold)

    That gives you : -450 food and 205 gold only for upgrades and supplies - 1370 food and 475 gold to be fully upgraded in castle age

    Compare that with : Crossbowman: -125 food 75 gold - upgrade only - 975 food, 550 wood, 475 gold (counting ballistics) for fully upgraded

    Knight: 1070 food and 470 gold to be fully upgraded

    In both cases (basic upgrades vs fully upgraded) longswords lose cost-effectively.

    My suggestion : - Supplies cost lowered to 100 food 100gold - Longswordsman upgrade cost lowered to 150 food 65 gold - Two handed swordsman upgrade cost lowered to 250 food and 100 gold - Arson upgrade: food cost replaced with wood cost. - Chain mail armor - 150 food and 100 gold.

    That adds to 300 food discount for Castle age (+150 wood) and letting supplies be created a bit earlier to have them be actually used.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/mardock528
    [link] [comments]

    I drew the King.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:55 AM PDT

    African Players

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    I'm curious as to whether their are other Africans like myself playing this game. Over the period I've played it I've met Europeans, North Americans and South Americans but hardly any Africans.

    If you are African let's talk how did you get start playing this game?

    submitted by /u/LonelyRabboni
    [link] [comments]

    Ranked Queue Random Maps

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 07:37 AM PDT

    Age of Mythology 2, sequel with AOE 2 visual style.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    I'm a huge fan of all Age of Empires series. My most favorite game of the series is AOE2 and Age of Mythology comes on the second place. I would defenitely wand to see a remake or sequel of it. But there is one problem- the graphics of AOM is old 3d and I think that pretty 2d sprites like in aoe2 wil be an ideal decision. This mean that it could be a sequel. And I would love if Forgotten Empires would be the team that work on it. Just imagine- aom world with 2d sprites, maybe some new features and some new civs like Celts, Scythians or other tribes. I bet that every Aoe fan would be happy to play a game like this! Please leave a comment if you agree with that and also want to see a game with this ingredients :)

    submitted by /u/alexshu97
    [link] [comments]

    Red Bull teasing something.... possibly?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:14 AM PDT

    My scout senses are tingling, i think they're teasing something here....

    edit: link! https://twitter.com/redbullgaming/status/1288847585248251906?s=20

    submitted by /u/shroompat
    [link] [comments]

    What could I have done in this situation? (Army composition question)

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:35 AM PDT

    I've just shot up from 950 to 1100 ELO by learning the maa into archers build order, but it means all the games I've won get finished in feudal/early castle age.

    Now people are better at walling, defending, countering etc, I'm struggling in the late game where I have less experience.

    I was ethiopians, he was spanish, I only got into his base as he went castle and a mangonel and 5 conquistadors saw to my 30 crossbows in no time. I put out a few cavalry archers to deal with a small conquistador push, and saw that he moved into mass skirm production.

    My instinct was to get some cavalry out for the skirms, I went imp, cavaliers and scorpions with torsion engines, and we sort of held each other off for an absolute age, he then went mass halbs and I went skirms in response, but he eventually overwhelmed me just with siege, skirms and halbs.

    Should I have left out the cavalry, and just mixed skirms into my archers early on to deal with his skirms? If someone goes for trash units early, do you just have to go straight to trash as well?

    I'm not sure what else I could've done. Skirms earlier from me would've meant I wasn't losing so many gold units throughout the game, but arbalest+Skirms are still wiped out with a few onagers.

    submitted by /u/Akewstick
    [link] [comments]

    Lag on the Latest Patch

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:18 AM PDT

    Just came off a ranked match and the game just froze and never got back to me - I can pan across the map, click etc, but nothing happens - even the time remains static. Is this a common issue?

    submitted by /u/MinisterHacker
    [link] [comments]

    Songs related or inspired by AOE 2

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:20 AM PDT

    I came across this powermetal song about a division of the mongol empire called 'The Golden Horde'. Did this division feature in the game, anyone know of it? A snippet of AOE 2 shows up at the end so it must be inspired by it. Here is the track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndSXNhF9g7E

    Perhaps some people would like it as a theme to play while charging cavalry into battle. Does anyone know of other AOE inspired songs.

    submitted by /u/Satsuma-King
    [link] [comments]

    The AI's new gold walling feature might still need some improvement

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 07:37 AM PDT

    Then Veteran. Now noob. :(

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    I left gaming altogether a real long time ago. Last time I played was CBA in 2014 or 15. Recently I found a youtuber 'T90' and was instantly hooked back to aoe2 but the game feels very different. New civs, new techs, new units, elo ranking and stuff. I seriously thought that aoe would be dead by now. Can you guys please help me in catching up. I have a bunch of questions before I start playing again.

    submitted by /u/Guy5170
    [link] [comments]

    For date night my wife said she would play a video game. It’s a rare treat for me. I know she would get a kick out of any views or comments!

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    I think it's kinda funny that the Battering Ram Upgrades are the only food only techs in post-Fuedal Age

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    ... and like the only specific upgrade to use none of the resources used to make the unit itself

    submitted by /u/sawbladex
    [link] [comments]

    Do you experience more stutter/Lag in the latest hotfix?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 05:27 AM PDT

    Seeing several people been complaining about the stutter/Lag has actually gotten worse in the latest hotfix, I'm interrested in knowing how many it is percentage wise. So how is it for you?

    I deleted my old post because I felt Option 1 was missing.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/barry_diller
    [link] [comments]

    Coaching (up to 17xx)

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 10:38 PM PDT

    Coaching available if anyone is interested, rating right now sits around 17xx although I have not played 1v1's consistently since May.

    Username is same on steam, feel free to add me

    submitted by /u/RobMayhem
    [link] [comments]

    So someone posted that all were cheating, so this explains everything...

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    Focus attack strat?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 09:12 AM PDT

    First off I consider my self new still at aoe2. Been playing for a few months now.

    So we know you can set villagers to do a build order for example : build house, barracks, house, blacksmith. You can set the villagers to do all of this before they even finish the first house you instructed them to build.

    The question: can I set my selected army to attack a house, lumber mill, house, tower in this order while they are still attacking the first house ?

    I haven't figured out how to do this, but if I learnt how to do this, it would free up all this micro managing I've been doing with my armies. The problem I face is after they destroy the first building , they then start to spread apart from one another by other buildings or enemies near them. Makes it hard for me to focus fire.

    submitted by /u/Gojomez
    [link] [comments]

    Best options versus Franks (Knights) and Mayans (Crossbows)

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    We were playing as Incas and Byzantines versus the mentioned Knight/Crossbow combo in castle age.

    I know we were at a disadvantage either way, but what do you think would be our best army composition against this combo?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/TactX22
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment