• Breaking News

    Monday, June 13, 2022

    Age of Empires II Medieval Monday: Ask Your Questions and Get Your Answers

    Age of Empires II Medieval Monday: Ask Your Questions and Get Your Answers


    Medieval Monday: Ask Your Questions and Get Your Answers

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 04:00 AM PDT

    Time for another weekly round of questions.

    Talk about everything from build orders to advanced strategies.

    Whatever your questions, the community is here to answer them.

    So ask away!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Update on my Dark Age base. I'll turn it into Western European Feudal Age once I got my enchanted netherite tools.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 01:06 PM PDT

    When you get housed, you have a couple options

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 02:32 PM PDT

    I didn't see halberdiers until I was already a man

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 10:00 AM PDT

    Made a basic unit counter chart. Everything I could find was outdated or wrong. Did I get something wrong?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 02:20 PM PDT

    Pick Your Elephant!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 02:31 AM PDT

    The most dangerous trebuchet you will ever see

    Posted: 12 Jun 2022 06:56 PM PDT

    The next DLC should be a Conquerors/Forgotten style DLC with civs from various parts of the world

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 12:06 PM PDT

    If FE stuck to region specific DLC with about two new civs I feel they'd be scraping the barrel for some. For me, major civs of the era that need to be added are Armenians, Georgians, Tanguts, Siamese and Somalis, and they should release them all as one DLC.

    submitted by /u/thisishardcore_
    [link] [comments]

    What is your go to civ and why?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 04:32 PM PDT

    I love games like that

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 08:56 AM PDT

    Tale's of 3 Cultures

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 09:53 AM PDT

    Intro of AOE2 Age of Kings in Arab Oud

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 03:09 AM PDT

    request: screenshot of "it depends" ingame

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 12:56 PM PDT

    So I had an idea to get a tattoo of "it depends"' partly for personal reasons and attachment to this phrase unrelated to AoE, but since I also find it fun as a reference to this game I thought it would be cool to get it in a similar font to one used in game. I think the regular chat font would be nice for this as it's simple but has some character and it fits the reference.

    The problem: I spontaneously got around to making an appointment for this tattoo while away from home and I don't have any computer with me, so I can't take a screenshot of this to give the artist as a guide.

    If anyone would be so kind as to send me such a screenshot of "it depends" (all lowercase) posted in chat, you would have my eternal thanks :)

    Ideally it would be a high-resolution screenshot, so it's better if you can send it to me directly rather than uploading it somewhere. Cheers in advance!

    submitted by /u/FlossCat
    [link] [comments]

    The AI creates the real DEFINITIVE real time strategy game

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 05:26 PM PDT

    nice 2v2 ranked match in aoe2de

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 06:28 AM PDT

    I've browsed in AoE2 maps and I didn't find an equivalent of AoM map "Jotunheim" (team territories separated by cliff and mountain pass choke points), is there one ?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 09:47 AM PDT

    A rather late question but how are the recent campaigns?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 05:48 AM PDT

    Yes I do play these haha Jadwiga last dlc was great

    submitted by /u/Titusmacimus
    [link] [comments]

    Everyone remembers researching hand cannon and the old turtle ship model, but does anyone remember when war wagons had the same type of attack as longboats?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 06:11 PM PDT

    I'm like 95% certain this was the case at one point in time. If not, am I crazy?

    submitted by /u/EyeofTheLiger_Fl
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get to 1000elo if I already do a lot of the recommended basics for that range but stagnate at ~850elo? What skills am I missing?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 05:12 AM PDT

    EDIT: For people finding this post in the future and being in a similar situation, I have decided to jot down the following things that can improve your play and that have been pointed out by the numerous commenters:

    • don't get frustrated when you feel like you are not improving even though you feel like you can do what people tell you to learn. After reading all the comments, at first I had to do a reality check and watch some of my games to see whether or not I really do all the things I listed. And what I found is that, yes, I can do anything on that list. And I might even do it well for some games in a row. But I don't do all of them well all the time; I don't do everything on that list.
    • spend your ressources and only save momentarily for techs you need
    • constantly produce military units
    • use your military units when you have them
    • balance your eco so that you have enough to constantly produce vils and your choice of military units but at the same time don't have a ressource surplus you can't or won't spend.
    • watch your recs to find your flaws
    • scout your opponent to anticipate his or her plan of action and adapt accordingly

    And for all the commenters:

    Thank you! I didn't expect this post to get so many answers. Now I understand better how I came to feel this way: My perception of my own playstyle is skewed because I tend to focus on too few things. I might loose a game because of X, focus on X in the next game but forget to do Y. So then I loose because of Y and forget to do X well in the next game. Hence the last tip I have to others like me:

    • Try to not only improve on specific areas of the game, but instead try to build a foundation of solid gameplay and then add other skills slowly.

    --- original post ---

    After around 125 ranked 1vs1 and 100 ranked team matches, I am stagnating at ~850 elo.

    While I know that I don't do everything perfect, I have identified, trained and improved massively on a lot of the basic skill areas. Most recently I looked on this post comparing the skills in each elo range.

    From the skills mentioned there I can already do the following consistently:

    • lure boar, execute basic build orders, have no idle time etc -> good Up-times (no more than 30sec too late)
    • use hotkeys and control groups (I don't click any buttons in the whole game)
    • scout early, get relics, expand strategically and know where ressources are -> map awareness
    • apply early pressure, e.g. militia drush, scout rush (FC->knights)
    • beat the "hardest" AI, beating two "hard" AIs
    • have late game endurance, e.g. use siege and exert map control, block and get ressources far from my home base and controll relics and/or stuff like the piles of gold in the middle in gold rush, have 110-135 vils at all times even when raided
    • avoid mangonel shots, use choke points, quick wall, etc -> ok to good micro
    • expand and boom under (early) pressure and defend in general while keeping a running and expanding eco
    • choose a strategy for feudal & castle and execute it, i.e. build a sound eco fitting to what I am planning (e.g. have enough vils on food and gold minutes before going knights)

    Currently I am somehow a bit frustrated but more annoyed to be honest, because I keep hearing descriptions of the skills I posess when people talk about the elo range 200points above mine. And while I like to train skill areas I am not good at or even learn completly new stuff, I just can't pinpoint what to improve next! At the same time, the people I play against posess the equal level of skill, so I keep wondering whether I am bad or if the perception of the elo and skill ranges is skewed. For example I often read that people around my elo have a lot of idle time and are late to up, but I haven't had a match for a long time where either me or my opponent had uptimes later than 30secs of the optimum.

    Either way, I would like to know what to do/to train to improve at the game. The last thing I learned was raiding post-feudal which massively improved my mid-to-late-game. I trained to remember to build some units for that goal, send them to the enemies base and maybe even micro them a little without worsening the rest of my play.

    I know that I don't make strategically sound decisions all the time, but I feel like I can't really do more than get a lot of experience to get better in that area.

    Do you have any ideas what basic stuff there might be which I am currently unaware of and could focus on training? I appreciate any recommendations or critiques

    submitted by /u/easeandchance
    [link] [comments]

    Old campaign translation:Bani Zaydan(The Saadi Sultanate)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 04:25 AM PDT

    Gurjaras are SERIOUSLY busted

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 01:19 PM PDT

    I just played a match against them with Tatars which isnt a great matchup. Either way, I had a much better feudal and early to mid castle. The thing is, I cant kill Shrivamsha without pikes. I cant kill Chakrams without range. There was a big fight in imp where I ended up with tons of FU Hussar, FU Elite Keshik, and like 20 FU HCA. Shrivamsha and chakram beat that. Not to mention the fact he can make feudal camels that upgrade on castle. Theyre part of this super weird thing where suddenly they get counters to everything you can think of, unlike the other civs. They are way overtuned and im so over it.

    https://www.aoe2insights.com/match/164742769/ I didnt play perfect but I feel like I won every stage of the game until the chakram throwers. And my units were sort of bunched but I figured there was no way I didnt have enough to wipe his army and kill his trebs. My army MELTED.

    There is a reason this civ has an unreasonable win rate.

    submitted by /u/WastelandMedic93
    [link] [comments]

    Villager Vacation challenge 5 not being completed

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 01:00 PM PDT

    I have researched the elite unique unit upgrade twice, but the challenge has not been updated as complete. Cannot proceed for the last objective. It's been a few days since i completed the last objective, so it's not the cooldown interfering. Any suggestions as i really wanted the boar banquet mod.

    submitted by /u/Vengeance_3599
    [link] [comments]

    Towers useless against ships?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 02:07 AM PDT

    So, Archipelago in the map pool. Don't like water maps, but had an idea - maybe I could defend my shoreline with (korean) towers, boom at home into turtle ships and cannon galleons. Towers do get a hefty bonus damage vs ships I thought. After all, I played a few water games but all seemed to be decided in feudal age by masses of (fire) galleys so I looked forward to trying this.

    So I started a game, position was great. I built a few towers. Just as expected, his 3 fire galleys arrived. I thought YES.

    And then...wait what? My watch tower dealt 1 (ONE) damage per arrow. ONE. Thats with a slow attack rate of 2.0, so effecrively 0.5dps. Looking it up, they deal 5 pierce + 7 attack bonus to ships so I expected 8 damage. Turns out ships have a hidden extra armor vs anti-ship attacks, essentially nullifying towers bonus.

    EDIT: Above is not correct. Watch towers deal 2 damage to fire galleys, 1 damage to fire ships. His ships were upgraded during the fight with the tower.

    Moral of the story: The only way to win water maps is to mass warships from feudal (or just ban it if you want to avoid the pure numbers game), and

    Despite their attack bonus, towers are completely useless against ships and the whole bonus damage/ship armor is a mess which is hard to understand but it basically makes ships only countered by other ships. I guess towers are decent post heated shots though

    submitted by /u/TevecQ
    [link] [comments]

    Why are people suggesting APM limits?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 04:09 PM PDT

    I'm watching a few viper videos and seem like people are suggesting APM limits, I'm assuming for ranked. I don't see the point of that. The reason I view this game as so amazing is the mix between micro, macro, and decision making. Daut is a top player still, even tho I have a higher APM (usually 160/70 splits) than him as a 1300 player. I think an apm limit would ruin the game, and the diversity of styles we see.

    submitted by /u/SkinnyDick696969
    [link] [comments]

    I think elephant archers would be more balanced if skirms dealt 1 or 2 less bonus damage against them

    Posted: 12 Jun 2022 08:01 PM PDT

    I've never played or seen a 1v1 game where EA felt useful, except in the famous MBLvLiereyy matchup and once against Turks cuz no elite skirms.

    Right now skirms absolutely melt EA which means, outside of team games, they've retained their status as a meme unit. Would it make them OP if skirms weren't such a hard counter?

    submitted by /u/Zircillius
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment