• Breaking News

    Monday, February 24, 2020

    Age of Empires II Medieval Monday: Ask Your Questions and Get Your Answers

    Age of Empires II Medieval Monday: Ask Your Questions and Get Your Answers


    Medieval Monday: Ask Your Questions and Get Your Answers

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 07:07 AM PST

    Time for another weekly round of questions.

    Talk about everything from build orders to advanced strategies.

    Whatever your questions, the community is here to answer them.

    So ask away!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Idea: A game mode where a big wall splits the map in 4 sectors, one for each player. You can't destroy the walls and they are so high you can't see what's behind them. 10-15 Minutes time to "prepare" yourself in your sector, then the walls fall. Exists in Minecraft but it's just perfect for AoE II

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 11:41 PM PST

    My friend's cat judging the lumbercamp placement

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 07:25 PM PST

    Mobile Web App for AOE2 DE info (civs/units/strategies) - asking for feedback

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 02:39 AM PST

    Mobile Web App for AOE2 DE info (civs/units/strategies) - asking for feedback

    I've enjoyed AOE2 since The Conquerors, and came back to the game since the release of DE. I guess many would agree that the most fascinating (or at least the most discussed) parts of the game are civs and units, as well as different strategies these elements enable. Finding the in-game tech tree a bit difficult to read, I decided to create a mobile web app for these info (civs/units/strategies).

    Sample Screenshot:

    https://preview.redd.it/ofiph8n5pui41.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=ab7194b9f969671e7288d6adee16791efd550273

    Link: https://aoe2app.github.io

    *Still work in progress, and mobile only (not optimized for desktop)*

    The plan is to:

    1. complete pages for all civs and units;
    2. open discussion threads to rank civs based on different strategies;
    3. add features at the same time (e.g. search button, unit stat by civs, etc).

    Feedback welcomed :)

    submitted by /u/aoe2app
    [link] [comments]

    Old habits never die (Barbarossa campaign)

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 08:23 AM PST

    Age of Empires 2: Replacement Contemporary Soundtrack (Spotify Playlist)

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 06:30 AM PST

    I played through all campaigns/historical battles. This is my summary

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 12:00 PM PST

    Hi,

    I'm a big fan of the series so I bought the game as soon as it came out.

    All in all, up to today, I played AOE2:DE for 183 hours. I finished the last historical battle on friday the 21st February after 179,6 hours of playing. I didn't play campaigns/historical battles only, but also online with my brother against AI or just solo against AI. My favorite gamemode is random map with "turbo" on. My favorite multiplayer maps are dark forest, oasis, highlands and yucatan. My favorite civs are the hungarians and the chinese. I don't play online against other players because online play doesn't fit my playstyle of the game (I prefer eco and basebuilding and then crashing giant armies into each other).

    As of today, I achieved 130 of the 138 achievements.

    (all the following times are taken from the ingame-counter)
    Campaigns:

    • Shortest mission: 1st William Wallace 2:43
    • Longest mission: 5th Iwajlo 2:14:04
    • Average duration: 52:44

    Historical Battles:

    • Shortest mission: Mantzikert (1071) 37:23
    • Longest mission: York (865) 3:05:11
    • Average duration: 1:24:19

    I played all missions on moderate (except "The Lion's Den" on hard for the achievement)(mostly to enjoy the story) and I'm going to replay all of them on hard.

    Best/most fun missions: the whole Sforza(Italian) campaign, Indian 4, Huns 5, Berbers 4 (it was different), Mongols 3, Mongols 6 within 40 minutes (achievement), Kurikara (1183), York (865), Dos Pilas (648), Dracula 5

    Worst mission: Indian 5, Burmese 5, Bulgarians 5, Khmer 2 (mostly because the mission bugged out as I converted the last of purple's units and the game didn't count purple as defeated, which I noticed about 2 hrs into the mission), Honfoglalás (895).

    Best achievements(some were hard, others were just cool to achieve):

    • No Royal Hair Touched
    • An Army Marches on Its Stomach (!!! this one was really good)
    • Roar like a Lion
    • Furor Teutonics
    • I Was In China Before

    All in all: I love this game! I'm currently working on the last 8 achievements and I really hope some more campaigns will be released in the future.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/TheBr0kenOne
    [link] [comments]

    Change someone give me an aoe2 de elo breakdown? Could you categorize a range of extra bad, pretty bad, ok, average, good above average best?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 07:51 AM PST

    Question above

    submitted by /u/alexanderjcap
    [link] [comments]

    Modding AoE2: DE on Xbox Games Pass?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 02:37 AM PST

    So I've tried to install the Permanent Dead Bodies (or whatnot) mod but it needs files to be installed to the game's main install directory.

    You don't have access to it, from what I can see, if you downloaded the game via Games Pass. Apparently, the game is installed to a hidden drive and thus can't be modded.

    How do you get around this?

    submitted by /u/RheimsNZ
    [link] [comments]

    Please, change the behavior of ship in campaigns.

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 05:58 AM PST

    One of the worst things there is in the AoE2:DE Campaigns, is to fight enemy war galleys/galleons. Only way to beat them is using War Galleys or Galleons yourself because fire ships and demo ships barely does anything against them as they keep micromanaging away constantly and firing until those ships are destroyed, so only way to beat them is using long ranged attack myself. I think this is wrong, and it should be possible to fight with the same amount of fire ships and actually win rather than losing.

    submitted by /u/Reaper8U
    [link] [comments]

    Just a topic to thank you guys

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 09:24 AM PST

    This subreddit is litterally awesome EVERY time i have a question gentle people will answer me and give the best of them to help me this is just fantastic what a community ( I come from league of legend lmao so big diff)
    thanks guys

    submitted by /u/kaizokudz
    [link] [comments]

    What is the shortcut to show the in-game scores? (DE)

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 11:57 PM PST

    Can't find it anywhere.

    submitted by /u/Svenray
    [link] [comments]

    What really grinds my gears about auto-scouting

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 10:09 AM PST

    Let me say, I don't have strong feelings about the feature itself. Lots of people have discussed pros and cons. We'll see how it plays out.

    But one thing really upsets me about the push to prioritize auto-scouting. Specifically, the game would already have auto-scouting if an important feature wasn't terribly broken.

    I'm talking about way-points. DE developed a new waypoint system with some clear advantages, however, it's been broken from the beginning, as discussed [here]( https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/ed3bww/bug_waypoints_are_broken/ ). Go ahead and try it. Your units will selectively ignore waypoints. Want to shift-cue your units to run around the anemy TC? Too bad, there's a good chance they'll go right through the middle.

    So what does this have to do with scouting?

    All players face limits of multitasking; at some point you just can't micro your scout as effectively as you could at the start. One way so compensate is with the shift-click waypoint system. You don't have time to scout for awhile? Hold shift, clickity click click, and your scout is off and running without needing to give him a second thought for a long time. Where to send him? It's up to you. Do you go for the corners? Do you run in a zig-zag down the middle? This is a game of choices, and the waypoint system should give you the ability to automate the choices that you want, not making the choices for you.

    But the system is broken, has been for months. It is not reliable and has cost at least one game I can remember. I wonder if they could fix it if they prioritized it over auto-scouting. I wonder if novice players could learn to use waypoints to automate their scouting more effectively than the auto-scout feature, without sacrificing skill development. I hope they fix waypoints.

    //end rant

    submitted by /u/sn987
    [link] [comments]

    Age Up Bonuses?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 12:39 PM PST

    Is there a link to what bonuses you get when you click up to each age? E.g. increased line of sight, more scout hp/attack? It's a hard topic to search for and I couldn't find anything.

    submitted by /u/bradthebold
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think about Malay ?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 11:26 PM PST

    Hello all !! :)

    I'm a beginner who is trying some civ and i actually stick with Malay.

    What do you think about them.

    Is their fish trap bonus usefull even on arabia or black forest ? (I don't know if their is some lake on those map or always 100% land ?)

    What about their UU ?

    I know their cavalery is horrible. It's a rought handicap ? Creating only 3 knights in early castle age to fight the enemy's skmirnisher is a bad idea ?

    What's your strategy with Malay ?

    Thanks!!!

    submitted by /u/NimBus44
    [link] [comments]

    Ways to shorten games between evenly-matched players

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 07:07 PM PST

    I play a lot with a friend. He's a little bit better than me and often wins, but as we've gotten closer in skill level, we're having an increasing number of games that are complete slogs - we're in a stalemate for hours, until one of us finally gets tired of it and either launches an irresponsible all-out attack or we decide to call it a draw.

    The occasional slog can be fun, but constant slogs are not.

    We typically play 1v1 on a Tiny map with Conquest victory conditions, and settings otherwise standard. We prefer to play the "standard" game - we're not really into Defend the Wonder/Capture the Relic where the gameplay is really different from normal.

    Do you have any suggestions for how we can play shorter games that don't devolve into slogs?

    submitted by /u/Xelif
    [link] [comments]

    Villager's pov in Black Forest

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 08:05 AM PST

    How do people create cool maps

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 06:02 PM PST

    For example Cup or Bay in the Hidden Cup Tournaments, they obviously just weren't chucked together in the scenario editor (if they were then bravo)

    How do people design maps so well that randomly generate wood lines and resources and tc spots and fish, but still have it a consistent every time?

    submitted by /u/Caidos101
    [link] [comments]

    New player trying to get into MP

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 05:54 PM PST

    As a new player MP seems really overwhelming, so I would like to ask for some advice.

    1. I tried looking at some build orders, and so far I'm a little overwhelmed by the endless amount of combinations of civ+map+strategy. The main build order i'm super comfortable with is fast castle into castle drop. Which works against the AI, but I assume is hot garbage against any human player. I practiced other builds a bit with the AI and archers are too cheesy for them and they deal with scouts decently well with spears. If someone can give me a suggested civ+build order for each of the eight map in ranked pools I would be super grateful.
    2. I want to practice in casual but it's either NOOBS ONLY or NO NOOBS, I don't know if beating extreme AI without cheesing too much is considered a noob or not, since the few friends I play with can't beat hard AI on their own yet. So I can't join either of the games in fear of public shaming.
    3. Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance!
    submitted by /u/rayvenz
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know when the next patch will be? What do you hope that the patch will contain?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 08:02 PM PST

    Im hoping the Vietnamese finally get a buff to becimecat least somewhat viable. Wood bonus, discount archer upgrades, getting gunpowder, doesn't matter as long as it helps them.

    submitted by /u/honorknight555
    [link] [comments]

    King of the Hill, resources for capture?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 11:27 PM PST

    Patch notes of the recent patch mentioned that capturing the monument in King of the Hill earns you free resources, but that doesn't look like the case from my observation. Anyone gotten that to work?

    submitted by /u/GurgleIt
    [link] [comments]

    Smushing

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 03:53 PM PST

    So I've been trying out siege/monk rushing on Arena. I can beat the extreme AI consistently by smushing and won two ranked 1v1's last night. Have a few questions though for those that pull this strat of regularly.

    I can fairly reliable hit castle age with Malay between 13:05 and 13:40. I caught both my opponents off guard without an army so they weren't able to put any pressure on me and I was able to trickle monks and siege in without issue.

    1. Is speed key? Start attacking the second I have 1 ram and 1 monk or should I wait for a few of each before attacking? Yes that's time for him to build an army but I feel the most vulnerable at the very beginning. If he counter attacks early and I only have 1 monk out I'm screwed.

    2. What monk upgrade should be my priority and after how many monks? Extra health or the ability to convert building and siege?

    3. Mangonels or scorpions after my first two rams? Mangonels have the power but aren't great when being rushed. I can pump out scorps alot faster and it seems easier on my fragile eco.

    4. If speed is king are Malay the best at smushing? Or is it worth the slower up time for the tankier Aztec monks?

    5. Any other tips/tricks.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/TheOthoMofo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment