• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 29, 2020

    Age of Empires II Every time

    Age of Empires II Every time


    Every time

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    shh ho

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 06:00 AM PDT

    PSA: If you love AoE, remember to tune in to the Red Bull tournament Thursday - Sunday

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 05:35 AM PDT

    This is a huge opportunity for the AoE community to show Red Bull and other potential sponsors that it's worth their time and money to put on big events. Which in turn provides pros with motivation to continue investing their time into the game, allows new players to discover the game, and provides more great content for the masses along the way.

    https://www.twitch.tv/redbull

    submitted by /u/Shottsyyy
    [link] [comments]

    STONKS

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    This is my relic: The original AoE2 box, with an instruction manual and a tech tree.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 04:56 PM PDT

    "Twenty and a half years of bloodshed" - I finally complete Saladin!

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    I've been playing Age of Empires off and on since 1999 - but hardly skillfully. About once every year or two I have a go at playing all the original campaigns again but have always gotten demoralised at Saladin mission 5 or 6 - the enemies were just too persistent for me. I generally lost interest after a few attempts.

    But earlier this evening victory was mine! I built that fucking wonder and guarded it with Saracen lives (and I didn't cheat by using the little island). Nearly 1000 enemy troops met their end by my towers and mamelukes. Though to be honest the win was more a question of perseverance than skill.

    In the closing cinematic the Norman knight who narrates the tale finally leaves Saladin after "nearly 21 years" in his service. It struck me that that must be about how long ago my 8 year old self first saw him wandering the desert and encountering Saladin's men. The anonymous Sir and I have been on this journey together for over two decades! I think he's earned his freedom.

    submitted by /u/Colonel_Smellington
    [link] [comments]

    What is a effective rush?

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 08:40 AM PDT

    How do you define effective rush? How much damage you have to make to have a effective rush with militia/archers/scouts?

    submitted by /u/ipilowe
    [link] [comments]

    AoE2 Economics - Inflation (Spirit of the Law)

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Three onager's shots and my opponent is done.

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    Three onager's shots and my opponent is done.

    There were only 4 onagers, which i command where to hit his large amount of infantry (Im ~850elo). The rest pieces my army has finished.

    TL;DR: I forgot to capture names of columns. *Units killed* second *Units lost*.

    submitted by /u/Ntiplex
    [link] [comments]

    cursed

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 01:38 PM PDT

    Lobby Browser not showing any games

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    Looked into it and can't find a solution, I can okay ranked no problem but Unranked no matches will show. Logging out of xbox live makes me quit the game, can't okay without being logged in. I'm definitely on the most recent update as well. Cross play is enabled and again ranked matches work fine. If anyone has a fix please let me know, thanks

    submitted by /u/babyfacebluee
    [link] [comments]

    App suggestions

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 02:34 AM PDT

    I just found out there's an app for Build Orders and a quick search in the sub actually showed me there are many apps to help with AoE2.

    So let's have a thread about all those apps. Which are your favorites? What do they do and why do you recommend them?

    submitted by /u/MahatK
    [link] [comments]

    What would the build time and cost be for Cheat units, if you could train them at the castle? (To be balanced.)

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    How much cost and build time would you give cheat units to make them balanced if you could train them at the castle?

    Examples for cheat units: Saboteur (Hero version of the Petard), Furious the monkey boy (Eversince Conquerors, you could place him in the Scenario editor), Cobra Car (pretty cool car)

    submitted by /u/StraightOuttaOlaphis
    [link] [comments]

    What are some Civ mismatches

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    I consistently defeat moderate AI with any Civ on Arabia. Which Civ can I give to AI and which one should I take to be at greatest disadvantage

    submitted by /u/just_hands
    [link] [comments]

    Spy Bear

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    If I want to get better, should I be picking a specific civ every game?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 11:40 PM PDT

    So I like Tatars and have essentially scout rush—>cav archers my way to ~1150 ELO. I'm worried however that this is making me only good with Tatars. Is there a civ that better teaches me to be good with any civ? I know no matter what civs have their strengths, but say I use chinese or byzantines, will these better teach me how to handle a wider range of situations? Or should I just keep using Tatars? Basically I want to be able to go Full Random and win more than half my games/not feel like I'm throwing the game away.

    submitted by /u/poopoocacastinky
    [link] [comments]

    Viewing area comparison

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    Map discussion: Hill Fort & Serengeti

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 06:58 AM PDT

    "Allegedly" the next patch will bring some new maps into the ranked map pool, including Hill Fort and Serengeti. These two are probably the lesser known maps or at least not maps with a commonly established meta game. What can we expect to work well on these maps?

    Hill Fort: Appears to be a cross between Hideout and Acropolis. You can start with either palisade or stone walls and have no berries in your main base. Deer can spawn inside and outside the walls. Wood is rather sparse inside the base and can be found at the edge of the map as well as in some random woodlines all over the map.

    I suppose the type of wall that spawns determines if FC is a safe option or not. Despite the walls, the bases are rather exposed and usually quite close to each other. M@A towers/archer should pressure the wooden walls very easily, also given that the base is so small and the woodlines so thin inside. I would assume that FC is too risky and scouts not effective enough vs walls here. Perhaps M@A would be the standard opening, even defensivley? Just guessing of course. If the map spawns stone walls, FC should be a viable option. Perhaps civs with strong UU can go for a castle drop. Early map control should be very important because players have to expand from their base quickly given the sparse wood. Conqs or Plums come to mind for this. Petard busts could also be very strong. I would guess, a straight boom is too risky, because it doesnt wokr inside the base and outside the vils would be too exposed without backup. I have only seen very few pro matches on this map, so this is all the speculation I can do thus far.

    Serengeti: A super open arabia style map with thin woodlines. Walling is near impossible and goldpiles are smaller than usual. There is only one rhino/elephant, but more deer/zebras to compensate for it. Since the trees have gaps in between, eco can get messy here.

    My impression from pro games I have wathced is that m@a or scouts are the way to go here mostly, because its so hard to wall anything. Similarly to Acropolis, map control is super important and feudal wars can become quite long asit is risky to stop production. Tower rushing also appears quite strong here. My guess would be that bloodline civs are overall the best choice, but I am not sure. Anything but fast feudal should not be viable, not even drush FC?

    Just some vague ideas to start a discussion. What do you think about these maps? Which openings and civs will be the most useful?

    submitted by /u/Sinapellido94
    [link] [comments]

    Favorite maps and least favorite maps?

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    My first attempt at a Mangonel.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    Viability of Byzantines trash tower rush?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 11:48 PM PDT

    I was wondering how viable a byzantines tower rush backed by spears and skirms is. Since your trash is so cheap, it's a lot easier to get a mass to defend tower bases/clear up space for the next tower. Before you know it you could have the opponent enveloped in towers. I really want to use Byzantines because I'm Greek :)

    submitted by /u/poopoocacastinky
    [link] [comments]

    RANT: DE ranked matches

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 11:44 PM PDT

    I may be alone on this and I expect this post to be buried, but I need to vent. That is seems like the saner option than throwing my laptop across the room. 11.

    So I have been playing AOE2 casually for a while now. ~1 year. 11 of those months were on the HD version and I recently switched to DE. I like a lot of what DE has to offer, but the matching system is driving me to the point where I feel like I am just terrible at this game! I am consistently getting spanked in matches and have a win rate in the 40's. elo or whatever its called now fluctuates between 850 and 900. on Hd it was around 1600. Like I said, a casual player.

    My gripe here is the matching system in HD. There is a strong dichotomy of the players I am matched against. I either destroy them, or I get scout/ knight rushed and its over before I click to castle. Most of the time that happens, after the match when I hover over the player's icon, their ranked stats show it is their first or second game they played ranked.

    If anyone made it this far into the rant and has any insight, is this akin to people smurfing on HD when they would create new accounts? I am so sick of it. This game is becoming less enjoyable. I much prefer the choice to choose your opponent like in HD. I know I can play unranked games, but the problem there is that you have no insight into how good a lot of those players are since they don't play ranked.

    I don't know... I may switch back to HD.

    Anyone else having similar experiences?

    end rant

    submitted by /u/ModerateMofo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment