• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 29, 2021

    Age of Empires II My game knowledge heavily outweighs my game wisdom

    Age of Empires II My game knowledge heavily outweighs my game wisdom


    My game knowledge heavily outweighs my game wisdom

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 03:59 AM PDT

    Incan Wall, example of master stone masonry. Cuzco, 1400's. Costs -15% less stone

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 12:31 PM PDT

    An unfortunate gold generation. Our team (blue/green) was north west

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 06:47 AM PDT

    A story about unjust unpausing

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 03:45 AM PDT

    Ok, so I was going to write a whole story about how my enemy Frank player, using knights, realised that I had a lot of camels and when he realised that he paused to overthink his decission, but that was the wrong assumption.

    So the story goes that when he launches his first real push, after some early raids, he starts attacking my first mining camp, with my vills on it. So I show up with my camels to stop his attack and then he pauses. Me, with my preconcieved opinion, thinks that he finally realised that I had camels and that this is just some convienently timed pause. So I just unpaused, as I didn't want him to take the time to overthink is decision to attack and turn the new found knowledge into an advantage, this is an RTS after all.

    So we pause and unpause a few times back and forth. He says food please and then we keep playing.

    After the match I rewatch the replay as I didn't want to start making up a story/post based on the vague memory of an adrenaline rushed late teenager with an ELO in the mid 800s. I find out from the replay that he must have known that I had camels, as I first countered a small raid consisting out of a knight and a few scouts in early Castle Age with camels. After that I try to raid him back, but seeing that he added houses behind the pallisades of hideout. I decided that it would be better to turn this raid into a scouting mission, during which I figure he must have seen my camels after a scorpion starts attacking me and his knights follow my camels for a while. Now we come when he tries to raid again (Which I thought was a push), during which the pause happend shortly after my camels show up.

    In the end I was wrong in assuming that he didn't know of my camels. I wish I had kept the pause on and just asked why. After the match I didn't really apologize to him, probably due to the adrenaline again. Even when he tolled me that he had to open the door after the bell rang. I still feel bad about this sooo....

    Rainer Winkler (my opponent), I'd like to publicly apologize for unjustly unpausing and I hope that you are doing well.

    P.S. Devs, would it be possible that when somebody pauses that the whole map turns black to prevent the gathering of information about the match?

    submitted by /u/2Wombat2
    [link] [comments]

    $5K EW tournament qualifiers happen this Saturday. Still time to sign up ��

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 06:08 AM PDT

    Steppe Lancers are the worst non-unique unit in the game and I have the stats to prove it

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 07:01 PM PDT

    Steppe lancers are only available to three civs, a "regional" unit similar to the battle elephant that South East Asian civs get access to. When DE came out, Steppe lancers were wildly overpowered, given a multitude of reasons such as their base stats, that melee pathing at the time was terrible, and that the Cumans (who have steppe lancers) were the best civ in the game by a mile at that point. So the devs then beat the steppe lancer into almost non-existence where it has remained for almost a year and a half. So just how bad is the steppe lancer atm? Well you have to compare it to the units that it would compete against for the civs that have access to it. I tested the steppe lancer in equal resource battles against camels, light cav, pikemen, knights, crossbows, and skirmishers. I then compared those results with knights vs the same enemies (still resource equivalent). With +1 armor and bloodlines, these where the results (% shows remaining HP on the unit group)

    +1 Armor/attack, Bloodlines Generic Steppe Lancers Mongol Steppe Lancers Knights
    Skirms (Bodkin) Win 60% Win 67% Win 64%
    Xbow (bodkin) Win 39% Win 52% Win 68%
    Knights Lose 28% hp on knights Win 5% Control
    Pikes Lose 75% hp on pikes Lose 75% Lose 52%
    Light Cav Lose 56% Lose 50% Lose 47%
    Camels Lose 52% Lose 42% Lose 49%

    +2 Armor/+1attack. Bloodlines, Husbandry Generic Steppe Lancers Mongol Steppe Lancers Knights
    Skirms (Bodkin) Win 65% Win 73% Win 79%
    Xbow (bodkin) Win 76% Win 78% Win 74%
    Knights Lose 29% Lose 12% Control
    Pikes Lose 75% Lose 75% Lose 59%
    Light Cav Lose 52% Lose 49% Lose 39%
    Camels Lose 52% Lose 48% Lose 53%

    So knights are more effective vs skirms, especially when chain barding kicks in, as steppe lancers hitting from 1 range allows skirms to land more hits, and they have 1 less base pierce armor. Likewise you might think that steppe lancers would do better vs ranged units, as is shown in the data, but it only works like that in smaller numbers. Less than 4 archers/xbows and the knight out performs them, more than 20 (the number to 1 shot a generic steppe lancer) and the knights start to outperform again. Knights trade better vs pikes (still dont take that fight), they trade better vs light cav, and while steppe lancers marginally out-trade knights vs camels, all of these civs have their own camels so you are better off making those.

    Also, it should be said that its higher food cost makes it un-ideal in early castle when your opponent might have that small amount of archers, and late game it has a gold cost and less pierce armor than a hussar (which all 3 civs have bonuses for) so it is un-ideal as a raiding unit. Let me also point out that while the steppe lancer has higher attack than the light cav/hussar, it also has a deceptively slow attack speed (2.3) meaning that the light cav with no attack upgrades in castle age has 0.4 less dps than the steppe lancer and it only gets worse for the lancer with upgrades. When both units are fully upgrades, the elite steppe lancer only has 0.7 more dps than the hussar while costing 87.5% of its food cost and also has a 40 gold cost. The unit simply has no niche, there is nothing that it does better than another unit that Mongols/Cumans/Tatars have access to.

    submitted by /u/DeusVultGaming
    [link] [comments]

    There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Woad Raider

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 07:49 PM PDT

    SotL: AoE2 Intro: Chess analysis

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 10:19 AM PDT

    My two hobbies collided

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 07:09 AM PDT

    bombard cannons

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 12:37 PM PDT

    *** ** **** *** **** ***** *******

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:12 PM PDT

    Why does this game have such a ******* censoring? It censors practically anything. Is there a way to turn it off?

    submitted by /u/Youre_Dreaming
    [link] [comments]

    Proud of my micro (sorry for the quality, don't know how to screen record and had to send it to my laptop to post).

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:19 PM PDT

    Liereyy has left Tempo Storm

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 08:27 AM PDT

    Best Civ and Strategy against Celts?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:51 AM PDT

    I was thinking Mongol Scout Rush + Mangudai to counter the Celt's powerful siege in late game, or Inca tower rush and Eage Warrior to counter siege? What would your strategy be?

    submitted by /u/Material_Produce
    [link] [comments]

    Garrison in TC and release villagers while farming

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 07:52 AM PDT

    I see pros often garrison their vills and release them while farming or assigning tasks. I couldn't tell what exactly they are doing and what operations they are doing cuz they are so fast. Can anyone tell? Are they using garrison to drop food? Or are they doing this to redistribute the villagers to new farms? Why not just right click the TC to drop them or select your villagers and then directly assign them to farms? What are the benefits of doing the TC?

    submitted by /u/justingreg
    [link] [comments]

    Where are all the Frank pickers at?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 11:41 PM PDT

    Just curious about what civs get most play at different levels. I just started playing mp recently and expected to see a lot of Franks at my low ELO (around 800), mostly because they seem like one of the most straightforward civs to play (my 10-year old son chooses them for this reason) while being quite good. However, I think I only encountered them once in like 20 games, and in stead I mostly play against meso civs and Sarecens with occasional Indian, Malay or Teuton. I get why I don't encounter some of the other good civs that are either "unknown" or harder to play for noobs (like the siege heavy ones), but Franks should be one of the classics, especially given all the memes 🙂

    submitted by /u/NobleK42
    [link] [comments]

    Top 10 “Cavalry Archer + Hussar” late game civs

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 03:11 PM PDT

    Hi all! This is a "Spirit of the Law"-like post for the Top 10 Cavalry Archer (or similar unit) + Hussar (or trash cavalry) civs for late game in 1v1. I have taken into account unit strengths (including any UU or UT that'd give strength to that comp), discounts, and bonuses towards this composition. Since these 2 units need siege support for razing buildings, I have also borne in mind the availability for strong siege and BBC for dealing against enemy Onagers, BBC or trebs.

    This is just a post for discussion. I'm not saying that this is an universal truth. So feel free to tell me if you think the ranking is correct, which of these should be better ranked, or if I made mistakes while making the top 10. So let's go!

    10.- Saracens (HCA + Hussar)

    Saracens get generic FU HCA and Hussar, supported by a very good siege tech tree with SR, SO and BBC available. This is enough to let them into the Top 10.

    9.- Spanish (HCA + Hussar)

    Spanish get FU Hussar and their HCAs only miss PT. Their siege lacks SO but they get faster firing BBCs. Why are they better than Saracens imo? Because they save a whopping 1445 gold from blacksmith techs. That is enough gold to create many more siege and HCA units.

    8.- Cumans (Elite Kipchak + Hussar)

    The biggest drawback for Cumans is them lacking Bracer, what leaves Kipchaks, who fare better than all generic HCAs against siege, much more vulnerable to enemy ranged support. They somewhat compensate this having a faster unit production with their Castle Age UT and a +5% speed bonus (after the rest of civs have researched Husbandry) that could help with numbers and choosing better fights. SR and SO will be their main siege support.

    7.- Bulgarians (HCA + Hussar)

    This army comp is sometimes overlooked, but it is strong although HCA lacking Ring Archer Armor. 1123 food is saved while researching blacksmith upgrades for both units, and Stirrups is a crazy tech for a Hussar power spike. Siege upgrades also save lots of food, and that has been taken into account.

    6.- Huns (HCA + Hussar)

    Huns have the fastest CA spam due to their smooth start without houses and their discount for these units (although they lack Ring Archer Armor). While some archer civs (Saracens, Magyars,…) can get to Imperial and then switch into HCA, Huns have taken already that path in Castle Age. The increase on the HCA discount with faster produced FU Hussars is the reason for them to be top 6. Their dreadful siege has lowered their rank a bit.

    5.- Berbers (Elite Camel Archer + Hussar)

    Camel Archers are an awesome unit, who not only are the main argument for countering the "standard" HCA + Hussar comp, but also can counter other "Cav archer" unique units like Arambai and Conquistadors as well. Lacking only PT, they get a UT that also allows them to regenerate health. The first UT also boosts Camel Archer production speed. And FU Hussars are discounted. With only SR and SO missing to support their push, Berbers have a very strong late game composition, but they also have more possibilities with their discounted cavalry and FU Champions.

    4.- Tatars (HCA + Hussar)

    Tatars have many bonuses regarding CAs, starting with their higher LOS and bonus for attacking from cliffs and elevations. They also get 2 vital techs for HCAs for free (TR and PT). Finally, they have a great UT that'll give survivability to both units (their Hussars are FU). The quality of their Hussar + HCA push is undeniable, and can be supported by Timurid Trebs or SR.

    3.- Turks (HCA + Hussar)

    Turks have many power spikes for each of these two units: Their FU scout line gets +1 pierce armor since the beginning, and they are instantly upgraded upon reaching Castle and Imperial Age, thus saving 650 food and gold. As for their FU HCAs, they get a UT that grants them +20HP, thus making them the tankiest of all. With the support of SR and faster produced, higher HP and longer range BBCs, Turks heavily rely on this comp in open land maps to make up for their lack of pikes and elite skirms. One could argue for Berbers or Tatars being Top3, but I feel that Turks are more dependent on this army comp.

    2.- Magyars (HCA + Elite Magyar Huszar)

    Recurve bow HCAs are one of the deadliest units in AoE2. They are FU HCAs that in the Imperial Age can get +1 attack and range compared to the rest of HCAs. They are supported by the best UU (imho) in the game: a trash (after the Castle Age UT) Hussar in steroids who has a bonus attack vs siege. If, for some reason, Magyars can't produce from 2 castles, they still have the chance to produce FU discounted Hussars from multiple Stables. Again, for some of you, Magyars should be nº1, and if we bear in mind the dependence on Castles both for them and Mongols (if they can't produce Mangudai from Castles, still have faster firing HCAs), I feel that the difference between Magyars and Mongols is the siege development, which is poorer for Magyars.

    1.- Mongols (Elite Mangudai + Hussar)

    Hussars (who have more LOS) lack the last armor from the blacksmith, but they make up for it with a bonus for a HP boost. That makes them a bit more vulnerable to ranged units, but better against melee units. Their best companion are the crazy Mangudai, the uncounterable cav archers, who, on top of being deadly as Magyar HCAs, they also get a bonus attack against their best possible counters – siege. The Mongol UT Drill also makes siege move surprisingly fast. They're to me the nº1 when it comes to evaluate Cav Archer + Hussar compositions.

    I hope you enjoyed, and let me know if you would change the order or include any other civ in this top10. Have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/Azot-Spike
    [link] [comments]

    What unit could be changed in today's meta?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 07:45 AM PDT

    Hello! I am currently making a fan made patch for August and, instead of basing it winrate like my other fan made patches, I am basing it on play rate.

    Now for the General changes I need your help, because I don't want to make balance changes that nobody wants/likes which will upset anyone reading it. So I need you to leave your suggestions on what overused or underused unit to change.

    Thanks all for the help you give!

    I will delete this post after it has gotten at least a few suggestions (so the moderators don't have to), so you better put what unit you want changed in the comments quickly!

    submitted by /u/CaptainCakeEater
    [link] [comments]

    Are Gothic cavs worth it?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 07:57 PM PDT

    I joined a post-imp 4v4 DM in Oasis, set to fast speed. I was Turks, my allies are Slavs, Franks, and Italian.

    My rival team has Saracens, Spanish, Celts, and Goths.

    For my part, I never trained janissaries, only HCA, heavy camels, hussars, and Bombard cannon. I knew that the Celts' siege onagers are nasty, and can flatten my janissaries. The Slavic ally started with halbs, and he started making boyars soon. The Frankish ally trained paladins and halbs. The Italian ally trained cavs, genoese xbows, and some hand cannons, but he was mostly defending himself from the Gothic enemy until three opponents were defeated.

    I noticed some time later, as the Goth opponent was attacking my Italian ally, and he only made cavaliers, and some trebs. Much much later, after we went all-out and overran the Saracen, Spanish, and Celt player, the Goth player started training only Hussars, and that he didn't build any barracks (only a wall of stables), nor trained halberdiers 11. The hussars were crushed by my camels. And I also noticed he even spammed trade carts all over his side as we always do in a game. He did have a some castles and trained a small number of huskarls, but they were all wiped out. He wasn't aggressive enough, so we defeated him last and won.

    During a previous random map game, as soon as he reached Imperial, my Goth ally started rushing the opponent with infantry as you can expect from a Goth player.

    Is going all-cavalry as Goths feasible?

    submitted by /u/hussar269c
    [link] [comments]

    Why does TheViper struggle vs Meso civs?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 12:22 PM PDT

    Because eagles eat snakes.

    Ok sorry but serious question.

    He lost crushingly vs hera in red bull and many other times too.

    What should he have done differently? What should the rest of us do vs meso eagle plays?

    submitted by /u/ihatehappyendings
    [link] [comments]

    I can't get over my 1v1 anxiety, please, somebody kick my butt.

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:56 AM PDT

    I have never really played PvP before, let alone actually tried to get good at it. I'm currently just below 1k.

    I still make mistakes while being pressured, but that's precisely why I adapted one of the earliest aggression builds possible (18 Pop Lithuanian Scouts) and can even still pull it off on Crater despite the missing boar. I normally should make Feudal before most opponents at my level even click up, so on that map specifically, I should have a massive advantage.

    I have 0 TC idle until Castle Age most of the time, and I received compliments for my Scout Micro from players way stronger than me. I always get the pressure up.

    Yet when it comes to joining the Queue, I am just too afraid to even click the button. I know I take it too seriously, and once the game starts, win or lose, I thoroughly enjoy it, but there's some part of my mind that just stops me from even playing. Heck, I play a lot of team games lately, there I feel relaxed, but I don't enjoy them as much as 1v1s. It makes no sense to me.

    I think I just need someone to get me to stop making excuses and play. But this stupid anxiety is just paralyzing for me at the moment.

    submitted by /u/SSJSaeda
    [link] [comments]

    Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 12 Week 10: Berbers vs Teutons

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 10:30 AM PDT

    Speed vs strength! Yeah..!

    Hello and welcome back for another Age of Empires 2 civilization match up discussion! This is a series where we discuss the various advantages, disadvantages, and quirks found within the numerous match ups of the game. The goal is to collectively gain a deeper understanding of how two civilizations interact with each other in a variety of different settings. Feel free to ask questions, pose strategies, or provide insight on how the two civilizations in question interact with each other on any map type and game mode. This is not limited to 1v1 either. Feel free to discuss how the civilizations compare in team games as well! So long as you are talking about how the two civilizations interact, anything is fair game! Last week we discussed the Slavs vs Tatars, and next up is the Berbers vs Teutons!

    Berbers: Cavalry and Naval civilization

    • Villagers move +10% faster
    • Stable units cost -15/20% in Castle/Imperial Age
    • Ships move +10% faster
    • TEAM BONUS: Genitour available at Archery Range in Castle Age
    • Unique Unit: Camel Archer (Anti-cav archer cav archer)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Kasbah (TEAM Castles work +25% faster)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Maghrebi Camels (Camel units slowly regen hp)

    Teutons: Infantryand Defensive civilization

    • Monks have 2x healing range
    • Towers garrison 2x units; Town Centers garrison +10 units
    • Murder Holes; Herbal Medicine free
    • Farms cost -40%
    • Barracks and Stable units gain +1/+0 armor in Castle Age, +2/+0 armor in Imperial Age
    • TEAM BONUS: Units better resist conversion
    • Unique Unit: Teutonic Knight (Slow, expensive, heavily armored infantry)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Ironclad (Siege weapons +4/+0 armor)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Crenellations (Castles +3 range; garrisoned infantry fire arrows)

    Below are some match up-specific talking points to get you all started. These are just to give people ideas, you do not need to address them specifically if you do not want to!

    • Alrighty, so this is a case of two very different civs going at each other! For 1v1 on open maps, both of these are pretty middle-of-the-pack. Berbers are going to be doing really well once you get to Castle Age with their cheap cavalry and strong unique unit, but could potentially struggle in Feudal Age. Teutons, meanwhile, are a pretty slow civ militarily, but you still can try to take engagements in a way that favors you by being defensive or with forward buildings. Which do you favor on Arabia and friends?
    • Since closed maps definitely favor Teutons, I think an interesting map type to consider would be Gold Rush, Golden Pit, etc. Both civs are great at securing control of a specific area, and the more mid-game focus in combat is good for both civs. Do you prefer Berbers with their cheap cavalry and camel archers, or Teutons with their more armored cavalry, infatnry, and good monks?
    • In team games, bot of these civs very much prefer pocket, although neither are quite top tier. Berbers have a very strong Castle Age through mid Imperial Age, but are a bit lacking in Feudal Age due to the lack of eco/military bonus, as well as in post-Imp due to the lack of Paladin. On the other hand, Teutons have an excellent economy and a great military with their extra armor Paladins and good halbs + siege. However, especially because they lack Husbandry, the Teutonic army is just very slow in a situation where speed and mobility is crucial. Which civ do you favor as a pocket?

    Thanks as always for participating! Next week we will continue our discussions with the Mongols vs Saracens. Hope to see you there! :)

    Previous discussions: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

    submitted by /u/OrnLu528
    [link] [comments]

    What are your feelings about the Empire Wars Ranked ladder at the moment?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:14 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment