• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 30, 2022

    Age of Empires II 27k players right now! highest count i've seen in like a year.

    Age of Empires II 27k players right now! highest count i've seen in like a year.


    27k players right now! highest count i've seen in like a year.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 07:39 AM PDT

    A Complete and Indepth Review of the new DLC in 26 seconds.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 02:25 AM PDT

    Ships so powerful on land!?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 03:42 AM PDT

    I send this to my friend whenever I want to play.

    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 03:57 PM PDT

    Played my first ever ranked games of AoE tonight, never felt so nervous in a video game in my life

    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 09:54 PM PDT

    So tonight I finally took the plunge played ranked tonight for the first time ever. Played some 3 vs 3 with my brother and another buddy, and it was a pretty awesome experience. Been playing AoE2 ever since it came out, I still remember seeing the ads for it in gaming magazines when I was in elementary school and eagerl waiting forn it to release. We used to take over the school computer room for team comp stomps but never really played against anyone else until Definitive Edition came out, now we try to play once a week. It just blows my mind how this 20+ year old game continues to be so captivating and engaging. Also, I may have been playing for 20 years, but oh boy the bad habits I never realized I had, up until definitive came and we started playing regularly again. Stuff like never taking boars, never fighting before Imp etc. So it was a really cool experience to play AoE2 against strangers for the first time ever. Fortunately I have shaken some of those old childhood bad habits but wow was it stressful, awesome fun but completely nerve wracking.

    Also many thanks to the awesome community of streamers and Youtubers who helped me realize just how much more there was to this game than I had realized. Between videos on game mechanics and watching the pros, and the low ELO Legends, out there Ive learned morenin the last 24 months than the last 20 years about this game. Sorry for the ramble, but it was a reallly exciting experience and I thought it was would be amusing to share.

    submitted by /u/WttNCFrep
    [link] [comments]

    I think Dravidians are my mew favourite civ

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 07:19 AM PDT

    MAA has always been my favourite opening and it can be very hard to deal with at my rating (800-1k). The Dravidian bonuses just synergise so well with early feudal agression. You can open double barracks, make a coupla militia after clicking up and send them forwards then pick up supplies and MAA straight away in Feudal and have enough wood to still have options for eco or blacksmith/range thanks to the instant 200. Those cheaper techs and the free wood lets you afford so much at that moment!

    You can then just flood the enemy with more MAA and take map control and try and deny gold/woodlines, if you have delayed or denied the defensive archery range(s) then it's pretty much GG because a constant stream of MAA with some skirms is a nightmare to deal with in Feudal if you don't already have archer numbers and if you try and defend with scouts? That's double barracks spear production to overcome. If the enemy does wall out the aggression, that's fine you can just stop producing and get ready for round 2 in Castle with Xbows...

    It just feels like such a smooth civ to play!

    Edit: *new in title! Oh well it's a good pokemon I guess...

    submitted by /u/DocSanchezAOE2
    [link] [comments]

    The subreddit right now 11

    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 09:24 AM PDT

    Spirit Of The Law - Thirisadai (DLC unique unit quicktake)

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 07:45 AM PDT

    Morality in the dlc campaigns

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 08:59 AM PDT

    Maps should rotate every WEEK change my mind

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 07:23 AM PDT

    i am so sick of playing the same maps in ranked and i do not care how uncompetitive some maps might be, i just want variety. This game has over 100 different maps to offer, WHY must we play the SAME 5 maps for a MONTH??

    submitted by /u/L_Freethought
    [link] [comments]

    My thoughts/review on the new campaigns (spoilers)

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 01:56 AM PDT

    I just finished all 3 new campaigns, on hard.
    I'm going to talk more about the writing and storytelling than the gameplay, since I think many people can decide how they feel when they play for themselves (although I value gameplay over story).
    I'm not a history or religion expert, so if I get something wrong, feel free to correct me.
    Sorry if this comes across a little "bloggy" but I'd just like to get my thoughts out somewhere and to see how people agree or disagree with my perspective.

    Devapala:
    Very easy campaign, even for a 1 sword difficulty.
    Overall very simple in terms of mechanics and most levels are on rather small maps.
    The exception being the last scenario, which I thought was decent but I'll talk more about that later.
    With the story, I felt like there were strong bones for a great narrative but they just weren't developed enough.
    A noble and religious king who begins to lose his faith during conquests but then tries to regain his virtue after realising his mistakes.
    Great structure for a good narrative and the very Buddhist perspective is a fantasic lens to view this story through.
    But the actual narrative itself is a bit dry.
    Much of the story contains very matter of fact chunks of text about what is happening, almost like a modern historical document rather than the teachings of a Buddhist monk from over 1000 years ago.
    This story need to be dripping in metaphor and spirituality, it needed more bias.
    The final level where a remorseful Devapala tries to reclaim his piety and the player can actually help him along that journey with a slew of side objectives was great though and I really wish this campaign had more elements like that.
    Overall, an easy, not especially interesting campaign with good ideas but a bland execution.

    Babur:
    This really started strong, the first couple levels felt very narrative rich.
    There was a lot of charimsa found in Babur and a lot of the supporting characters.
    I loved the recreation of Samarkand from The Horde Rides West in the first level as well.
    But as soon as the third level hits, it starts to go down in quality.
    It's an incredibly easy campaign, probably even easier than Devapala.
    First couple levels being easy is ok, but by the third I want some kind of challenge.
    And every level is set on a smallish map, so it barely feels like you're conquering territory, when that's part of the focus of the narrative.
    One narrative element that I thought was interesting was how I believe the designer wanted you to move from cavalry heavy armies to gunpowder ones.
    I feel like this is most evident in the last level, where the Rajputs train most infantry armies, as a way to incentivise you into making more hand cannons.
    I think that's a quite clever way of showing a change in tactics in the period.
    However, the Gurjaras aren't much of an infantry civ, so the entire scenario is zero threat as you effortlessly mow down hordes of weak infantry with your guns.
    Going back to more direct story content, Babur himself I thought was handled simultaniously well and not well.
    I think the dialogue captured his charming and well spoken nature, but I also feel like it didn't capture more sophistication in his character.
    I think that's also why I started to become less interested in the latter part of the story, because you didn't get that sense of character growth or stronger indiciation for why he was doing the things he was doing.
    Overall, very easy, flavourful but not especially engaging campaign.

    Rajendra:
    I probably have the least to say here because this campaign was fantastic.
    Big maps, lots of objectives, complex mechanics, challenging and relatively well handled story.
    This is stardard I've come to expect from DE campaigns.
    First mission and we get a little pre-mission cinematic of Rajendra and his men riding in and I just knew this whole campaign was going to be good right there.
    It's interesting because this I felt like the narrative was the least complex of all three campaigns but it was just the most well written and executed.
    Rajendra rejection of his father's principles but then evolves into the same man as his father.
    Not groundbreaking stuff narratively, but it was just handled so well through emotion, drama, myth and metaphor.
    Him viewing the remaining virtue inside of him as the Vritra that must be slain has this wonderful sense of irony.
    And the final scene, where you see the boy in him wither away is really powerful.
    There's so many other little story details that work very well throughout the campaign that this post could be endless.
    Overall, great. Up there with some of the best AoE2 campaigns imo.

    Out of all the DLCs, I personally feel that this has the least quality campaign content overall.
    I think that DoI was great value from a multiplayer perspective, but if you're someone who values both campaigns and multiplayer, then the campaign part was a bit lacking in this DLC imo.
    Feel free to book me for a TED Talk in your area.

    submitted by /u/PMar_Project
    [link] [comments]

    What can Saracen's Siege Onagers 1-shot after their new tech, that they couldn't before?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 07:04 AM PDT

    Title says it all. How useful is +15% damage against units?

    submitted by /u/kittyjoker
    [link] [comments]

    Ghulams arrived

    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 06:51 PM PDT

    Has pathing been changed recently?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 06:45 AM PDT

    I've been playing a few rounds of team games and I've noticed recently that pathing feels different recently, less intuitive. Units going around obstacles from (seemingly) the long way around. Instead of straight lines toward objectives doing more zigzagging and taking L-shaped routes. I don't think it's worse, just different.

    Problem is I don't know if this is real or I'm just getting more familiar with pathing idiosyncrasies as I get better and spend more time with the game.

    So players: has pathing changed or am I losing it?

    submitted by /u/zakhovec
    [link] [comments]

    Finally achieved 50% win rate

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 08:54 AM PDT

    Asia timeline (Version 8 - now with ALL OF ASIA?)

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 06:02 AM PDT

    Chinese smurf players in ranked

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 09:00 AM PDT

    Anyone notice an increase in all of these Chinese smurfs on ranked?

    submitted by /u/Demondrug
    [link] [comments]

    Man, this boy is OP as hell

    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 08:53 AM PDT

    rajendra 3 rising star 9 civs? The achievement mission seems to have 9 rather than the shown 8 civs with suryavarman off in the corner. does anyone know what's mechanically behind this?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 06:07 AM PDT

    Dravidians civ - LEL perspective

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 02:06 AM PDT

    I am 850-950 elo in 1v1 and 1400-1500 in team games. Been playing only team games for 4 months now. I always play random civ.

    I played over 15 4v4s as Dravidians. Lost 14 games.

    Urumi seems weak and easily countered in low numbers until all upgrades are researched. So they are definitely not OP.

    submitted by /u/Ok_Comparison_3748
    [link] [comments]

    Sneak away Bitches!

    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 07:21 AM PDT

    Anyone else not so amused by the Thirisidai?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 08:40 AM PDT

    Like all the unique unit ships so far have their own set of unique bonuses. The longboat effectively doing splash damage in larger numbers and ofc looking cooler, Caravels being an awesome unit in narrow stretches like a scorpion, The Turtle Ship ofc being the Turtle Ship thanks to its ridiculously high stats...

    Then came the Thirisidai. Like look it's a great unit and well balanced and stuff, I'm not going into those aspects of it, besides the Dravidians anyways have a full naval tech tree they don't really need more naval boosts anyways.

    What I meant was I expected a new mechanic or something that distinguishes this ship from the others, for me it just looks like a really buff galleon, cause it faces galleons and dies to Fire Ships, like any other Galleon does lmao. Anyone else who expected more from this UU? For instance the Cataphract is the Anti Anti Cavalry UU, or the Berserker stands above the champion for his regeneration abilities and being able to handle cavalry better...

    Maybe it's cause ships are a bit of a rock paper scissors game anyways, but you know that didn't stop the Devs from making a scorpion on water (Caravel)

    Anyone else who expected something else from this unit??

    submitted by /u/UAForever21
    [link] [comments]

    I don't even own the DLC... I played against a gujara as byzantine...

    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 12:02 PM PDT

    Game freezes when I press F7

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 12:04 AM PDT

    I can still see the chat, the game still continues, but I can't move my mouse, and can't press the menu. The only way to quit is to Alt+F4. How to fix this?

    Edit: Only happens in multiplayer, the singleplayer skirmish works just fine.

    submitted by /u/kigmaster
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for new Prithviraj achievements?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 10:51 AM PDT

    Any tips for either Raja of of the People or Inspiring Poet achievements?

    submitted by /u/quantitativelyCheesy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment