• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 3, 2020

    Age of Empires II I just started playing Ranked, it’s amazing and I suggest everyone gives it a try

    Age of Empires II I just started playing Ranked, it’s amazing and I suggest everyone gives it a try


    I just started playing Ranked, it’s amazing and I suggest everyone gives it a try

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 04:30 AM PST

    First time playing online against other people and it's great! I've always been intimidated from playing ranked or in lobbies. I think that comes from watching T-90 videos and seeing how crazy good some players are. But I'm 3 and 3 right now and it's been a blast, even the loses are a load of fun just because playing against another person is so much more engaging and unpredictable than playing against the AI. So if you are a noob (like me) or just unsure how online will go, I strongly encourage you to give it a try! Opens a whole new world of AoE to you!

    submitted by /u/LegitimateLoan
    [link] [comments]

    When Someone Tries to Counter Your Konnik with Halbs

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 09:46 AM PST

    I became a mercenary

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 11:28 PM PST

    I was playing a diplomacy game and i was doing well but a guy attacked me and destroyed everything exept a few houses,a market and an archery range soo i made a dozen hand cannoniers and i hid them,and the guy destroyed my archery range and the market so i said i am a mercenery now and a guy called me to protect his borders so i came.Enemy wanted to trade but wasn't able because of me so he lost ships and wasnt able to trade.I then protected his shores against galleys and trandport ships(mostly transport ships) and then a guy invaded and i came as first line of defense.Enemy lost the battle but we invaded and he killed my dudes so i lost.It was the most fun game ever

    tl;dr:a guy destroyed my base but i had a bit of sodgiers so i protected another guys base

    submitted by /u/joseph_potato
    [link] [comments]

    Villagers on shorefish be like

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 07:19 AM PST

    Tuesday Talking Points: Two Descriptions for Every Civilization

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 06:12 AM PST

    Summary: Adding descriptions so that all Age of Empires II civilizations are characterized by two specialties, analyzing the results, and a request for feedback and constructive criticism.

    Background: Of the 35 Age of Empires II civilizations, only 15 are described as specializing in two different areas. For example, Aztecs are described as an Infantry & Monk Civilization, while Britons are only described as an Archer Civilization, and to be verbatim, Foot Archer. Because I like organization and order, I wanted to add a description to those civilizations that only have one so that all civilizations would have two descriptions.

    Method: The first step is to make the list of all possible descriptions. These specialties are what are shown under the civ's name in the Tech Tree, and generally indicate that a civilization is known for that kind of unit. Below are the descriptions, with ones in Bold the descriptions that I added (descriptions to follow);

    Archer

    Camelry

    Cavalry

    Cavalry Archer

    Defense

    Economy

    Elephantry

    Gunpowder

    Infantry

    Monk

    Navy

    Ranged Infantry

    Siege

    Skirmisher

    Spearmen

    Most of these are straight-forward, like an Archer civ would have good Archer units or bonuses that pertain to Archers, but don't necessarily need to have a Unique Unit that is an Archer. Defense is a very broad description that could mean they have good towers, walls cost less, their buildings have higher HP, etc. The one outlier is Economy, which is kind of a catch-all I made for when I felt a civ did not have a clear second-best military option, and instead had things like villager gather rate bonuses, unit cost discounts, and other similar bonuses.

    I broke out Camelry and Elephantry from Cavalry since those units have clear differences, and a case could be made that Cavalry should be further divided into Light Cavalry and Heavy Cavalry, but I thought that was maybe getting a little more pedantic than I already was. I had similar lines of thought when I separated Archer and Skirmishers, and Spearmen from Infantry, since again those units serve different roles. I felt like Ranged Infantry was different enough from Infantry to justify making it their own category, but I can see why some people might say it is not.

    I did not make Trash a category, although it arguably could be an adept description of several civ's specialties. I thought that was too general, and when I think of what a civ specializes in, it makes me think of their idealized best units for a knockout punch, not their ability to win a post-Imperial war of attrition. Similarly, this thought experiment was solely looking at what units a civ specializes in, and not more conceptual specialties like a Tower/Scout Rushing civ, or a Fast Castle one, or a Booming one, etc.

    As a final note before sharing the results, it was not the intention that these two descriptions would be the only things that the civ is good at. For example, the Koreans are described as a Navy and Defense civilization, but they have excellent Siege too.

    Results: So without further ado, here is my list of all civ's with two descriptions. If the second name is in Bold, that means that I added it to a civilization that previously only had one, or in the case of Berbers, I changed it from the original description.

    Aztecs – Infantry & Monk

    Berbers – Cavalry & Camelry (changed from Cavalry & Navy)

    Britons – Archer & Economy

    Bulgarians – Infantry & Cavalry

    Burmese – Monk & Elephantry

    Byzantines – Defense & Monk

    Celts – Infantry & Siege

    Chinese – Archer & Economy

    Cumans – Cavalry & Cavalry Archer

    Ethiopians – Archer & Infantry

    Franks – Cavalry & Ranged Infantry

    Goths – Infantry & Economy

    Huns – Cavalry & Cavalry Archer

    Incas – Infantry & Economy

    Indians – Camelry & Gunpowder

    Italians – Archer & Navy

    Japanese – Infantry & Navy

    Khmer – Siege & Elephantry

    Koreans – Defense & Navy

    Lithuanians – Cavalry & Monk

    Magyars – Cavalry & Economy

    Malay – Navy & Infantry

    Malians – Infantry & Cavalry

    Mayans – Archer & Defense

    Mongols – Cavalry Archer & Cavalry

    Persians – Cavalry & Economy

    Portuguese – Navy & Gunpowder

    Saracens – Camelry & Navy

    Slavs – Infantry & Siege

    Spanish – Gunpowder & Monk

    Tatars – Cavalry Archer & Cavalry

    Teutons – Infantry & Monk

    Turks – Gunpowder & Cavalry Archer

    Vietnamese – Archer & Skirmisher

    Vikings – Infantry & Navy

    Analysis

    1) Civs with Two Descriptions per Age of Empires II Game Version

    Here is a breakdown by Version of the civs that the developers originally gave two descriptions;

    Age of Kings (3/13) – Celts, Saracens, Vikings

    Age of Conquerors (3/5) – Aztecs, Koreans, Spanish

    The Forgotten (3/5) – Indians, Italians, Slavs

    African Kingdoms (2/4) – Berbers, Portuguese

    Rise of the Rajas (2/4) – Burmese, Khmer

    Last Khans (2/4) – Bulgarians, Lithuanians

    I'm not sure if there was a conscious effort by the developers to increase the percentage of civs they added that had two descriptions in the expansions, or it just is a coincidence the two or three of each expansion merited giving two descriptions. I've long argued that these descriptions are important because for developers adding new civs, they want to be sure they aren't crafting a new civ that specializes in and feels like one or more existing civ. Which brings me to my next point.

    2) Unique and Repeat Descriptions

    Overall I came up with 24 unique descriptions with 8 repeats, which are:

    Archer & Economy (2) – Britons, Chinese

    Cavalry & Cavalry Archer (4) – Cumans, Huns, Mongols, Tatars

    Cavalry & Economy (2) – Magyars, Persians

    Cavalry & Infantry (2) – Bulgarians, Malians

    Infantry & Economy (2) – Goths, Incas

    Infantry & Navy (3) – Japanese, Malay, Vikings

    Infantry & Monk (2) – Teutons, Aztecs

    Infantry & Siege (2) – Celts, Slavs

    This is not to say that civs that share a description with another civ are exactly the same, since the developers included other bonuses, units, or playstyles to ensure variety, but it does show that some combinations are more prevalent than others.

    3) Unique Unit Not Always Civ Specialty

    There aren't many civs with a Unique Unit created at the Castle that is not the same type as one of their civ's specialties:

    Burmese – Monk & Elephantry UU – Arambai, Cavalry Archer

    Byzantines – Monk & Defense UU – Cataphract, Cavalry

    Indians – Gunpowder & Camelry UU – Elephant Archer, Cavalry Archer & Elephantry

    Koreans – Navy & Defense UU – War Wagon, Cavalry Archer

    *Malians – Cavalry & Infantry UU – Gbeto, Ranged Infantry

    Persians – Cavalry & Economy UU – War Elephant, Elephantry

    Slavs – Infantry & Siege UU – Boyar, Cavalry

    *Malians would not be included if you do not think Ranged Infantry is different from Infantry

    While a military unit probably would not be considered Defense or Economy, certain Unique Buildings could be, like the Krepost or Feitoria. An interesting specialty though is Navy, which could be a Unit or Building. Of the seven civs that specialize in Navy, three do not have a Navy Unique Unit, three do have a Navy Unique Unit, and Malay have a Navy Unique Building.

    4) "Main 3" Military Specialties

    If you consider the "Main 3" specialties in Age of Empires II to be Archer, Cavalry, and Infantry, six civs specialize in Archer, eleven are Cavalry, and twelve are Infantry. Subtracting the two that double up as Infantry & Cavalry and the one that is Archer & Infantry, these Main 3 military categories cover 26 of the 35 civs. For the remaining nine civs that do not already fall into one of those Main 3 categories, Gunpowder is the most frequent specialty with four civs, since all six Economy civs fall into one of the Main 3 and four of the five Cavalry Archer civs are also Cavalry civs.

    Archer – 6

    Camelry – 3

    Cavalry – 11

    Cavalry Archer – 5

    Defense – 3

    Economy – 6

    Elephantry – 2

    Gunpowder – 4

    Infantry – 12

    Monk – 6

    Navy – 7

    Ranged Infantry – 1

    Siege – 3

    Skirmishers – 1

    Spearmen – 0 :(

    Motivation and Conclusion

    What was my motivation for doing all of this? Besides my borderline obsessive-compulsive desire for organization, I am like a lot of people on this sub in that I like to think about new civilization concepts. I like reading any New Civ concept post on this sub (at least those that aren't made in jest or as memes), but I think I enjoy them far greater if they are well thought out, researched, and meet these criteria, in this order:

    #1) Did that civ exist in the general time frame of Age of Empires II (500 AD - 1500 AD)?

    #2) Does this civ do something differently than one of the existing civs?

    #3) Was there an attempt to make that civ balanced for gameplay?

    #4) Is this civ not closely related to, or a sub-culture of, a civ that currently exists in the game?

    #5) Did that civ exist for several hundred years, or have a large impact on Medieval history?

    I hope that people know that AoE2 is largely based on history, and since this is a historical-based game, any new civ must fall into the general time frame of AoE2. But the second one on the list is also extremely important, because I feel like a lot of the New Civ posts I see are just modified versions of ones that already exist. By organizing the civs this way, it is clear that there are niches that new civs should try to fit into. Ranged Infantry, Skirmishers, and Spearmen seem to be ones that could be applied to a variety of new civs in all areas of the world, while Camelry is confined to the Middle East and Elephantry is only for South East Asia (not Africa, there were no tamed African Elephants during the Medieval period. Hannibal and the Romans literally drove the North African Elephant to extinction by using them in war and circuses in Antiquity).

    And to address Ranged Infantry a final time, one of the reasons for including it was units that throw Tomahawks (Puebloans) or Boomerangs (Aboriginals) have a corresponding and fitting description. But that is information for a later Tuesday Talking Point.

    Conclusion:

    So what do you guys think? Would you describe any of the civilizations differently than I did? What is your threshold for saying a civilization specializes in a type of unit? Did anything from the Analysis section surprise you, or are there other conclusions that you guys see? If you were using my 5 Criteria for New Civ concepts, would you order them differently? Are there types of units you think should be more prevalent in the game?

    submitted by /u/SHABOOM_
    [link] [comments]

    *Mbl starts screaming*

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 12:40 PM PST

    Fix the freaking right button!

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 07:47 AM PST

    So, we had lots of troubles with pathfinding, devs are (kinda) fixing that, but with last update, if i say to a control group of cavalry "attack that specific onager" using right click, those assholes just attack anything in front of them, except obviously, that onager. WTF? Is it really difficult to fix past bugs without introducing worst ones? I really love the remastered, i prebought it and i never prebuy anything, but please, things like this really hurt the game. Sorry for the rant, and for the bad english, i hate to "post complaints like a child whining" but its frustrating when you cant micro your units so they dont freaking die to a mass of stone falling from the skies...

    submitted by /u/XxX_Zeratul_XxX
    [link] [comments]

    Lemme just hit the grass for a sec

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 06:50 PM PST

    Hey! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Cool sword! Whoops, gotta go.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 06:36 PM PST

    Discussion: Cavalry vs Archers vs Infantry

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 07:28 AM PST

    I wanted to ask you guys how y'all fee about the rock paper scissors between cavalry archers and infantry in the game. I think in general consensus has been infantry has been underpowered (hence supplies) and cavalry mobility takes over open maps while ranger units work better when given some protection. Do you feel like there needs to be a nerf or buff to any of these classes to even the playing field? Or is it just fine right now as is?

    submitted by /u/BlackkDiamondzz
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for a newbie?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 04:59 AM PST

    I just watched some Mayans gameplay in the hidden cup and I would like to have some tips from you guys. I'm like a maniac for Archer Civilizations, for me, archer can beat any unit if very well played with Trabs for example. I've played Britons for a 6 games, my six first games in the multiplayer, I won 4 of those games. I would like to know some tips. My two losses were about a very pressure early game, the only strategy that I'm training is the FC, because I think it's a solid and good strategy to start learning about the eco in game, after I get acquainted with eco than I focus on improving my micro. But I can dodge some Trabs and Scorpions for sure. I've have put my Flank and Line formations in the macro of my mouse and It get's easier to dodge. But I still need some good civs with insane archer mechanics, build orders and ways to counter early pressure. I mean, I only do FC because Britons get Longbow in Castle, and they are just awesome.

    Hope you guys can give me some tips to do about it.
    I'm brazilian anyways, if there is some english mistake, pardon me.

    submitted by /u/goldpentakill
    [link] [comments]

    Goths Feudal Spam Into Knights vs Bulgarians!

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 06:17 AM PST

    Can anyone please explain why my mouse drag is black and not white?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 06:15 AM PST

    Campaign storytelling at it's best. Transition from Mongols to Cumans.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 05:02 PM PST

    Spoiler warning for Mongol and Cuman campaigns.

    I've been playing through all the campaign's slowly. I started by just Cherry picking the ones that interested me but after about the 3rd one I did something different, I went and found the earliest chronological one I could find and began choosing the next based on its year range after finishing each one. For the most part there are only loose tie-ins with other campaign's, with a reference here or there to other nations, land or events. Sometimes not even that.

    But holy cow, after finishing the Genghis Khan campaign, and learning of the atrocities they committed in more detail, (I was aware they were Jerks to their victims beforehand) and then to follow on to the Kotyan Khan mission 1 and 2 was truly moving.

    The narration for the Mongol campaign was quite poor and definitely broke verisimilitude, but forgiving that, the high quality of the Cuman narration made for a real feeling of misery, despair and survival as you succeed in the 1st mission only to read about this grand looking army getting slaughtered, outmatched and brutalized. Princes that you just aided, riding off into clouds of smoke never to be seen again.

    And then mission 2 just punches you right in the face as your temporary allies get overrun and slaughtered.

    I'm all for trying to break maps and spend hours trying to tickle out a win I shouldn't be able to get, but man - fleeing with feudal cavalry as post imperial Mongols chase after you was very one sided, if you tried to kill even just one of them!

    These two campaigns flow on from one another so well and I wanted to share my experience with anyone who loves single player storytelling. This has been by far the greatest moment I've had in aoe2.

    I'm aware that I have not been a part of this subreddit for long and may be in a small minority here as many people might just be here for the PvP scene. All good.

    submitted by /u/PukGrum
    [link] [comments]

    The Most Pointless AoE2 Video (autoscouting)

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 07:53 AM PST

    Does anyone know if there is any custom scenario that is similar to Settlers back in AoM?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 02:35 AM PST

    made this meme and something else ↓

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 11:52 AM PST

    You ever asked yourself "Who are the Top 15 Players of AoE2?" Here you go!

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 08:00 AM PST

    MBL with the quality co-casting

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 10:28 AM PST

    My games, since update. FML.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 06:33 AM PST

    Attack-move on right click

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 10:23 AM PST

    Since the last or second last patch, military units always perform an attack move when right-clicking on enemy units. This makes it almost impossible to snipe individual units like Monks or siege. I know you can work around it with stand ground stance, but that can't really be the solution, right? Is this behavior wanted by the developers? Then what is the Attack-move command for anyway?

    submitted by /u/Nights25
    [link] [comments]

    I'm an 800s level player on ranked, and I want to be at least 1000. What will get me there? I like mongols, goths, britons.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 09:56 PM PST

    What will get me to that range? Is there a simple strategy that will help me progress the extra 200?

    submitted by /u/alexanderjcap
    [link] [comments]

    What does this mean? Is it glitched?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 06:32 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment