• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 14, 2020

    Age of Empires II Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 10 Week 6: Burmese vs Malians

    Age of Empires II Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 10 Week 6: Burmese vs Malians


    Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 10 Week 6: Burmese vs Malians

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:54 PM PDT

    Ummm yeah idk I don't have anything funny for this one...

    Hello and welcome back for another Age of Empires 2 civilization match up discussion! This is a series where we discuss the various advantages, disadvantages, and quirks found within the numerous match ups of the game. The goal is to collectively gain a deeper understanding of how two civilizations interact with each other in a variety of different settings. Feel free to ask questions, pose strategies, or provide insight on how the two civilizations in question interact with each other on any map type and game mode. This is not limited to 1v1 either. Feel free to discuss how the civilizations compare in team games as well! So long as you are talking about how the two civilizations interact, anything is fair game! Last week we discussed the Franks vs Goths, and next up is the Burmese vs Malians!

    Burmese: Monk and Elephant civilization

    • Lumber Camp upgrades free
    • Infantry +1 attack per Age (starting in Feudal Age)
    • Monastery techs cost -50%
    • TEAM BONUS: Relic spawns visible on map
    • Unique Unit: Arambai (Mounted dart-thrower that deals massive damage, but has low accuracy)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Howdah (Battle Elephants +1/+1 armor)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Manipur Cavalry (Cavalry and Arambai get +6 attack vs buildings)

    Malians: Infantry Balanced civilization

    • Buildings cost -15% wood
    • Barracks units +0/+1 armor per Age (starting in Feudal Age)
    • Gold Mining upgrade free
    • TEAM BONUS: Universities work +80% faster
    • Unique Unit: Gbeto (Fast, fragile ranged infantry with high attack)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Tigui (Town Centers fire +5 arrows, even when ungarrisoned)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Farimba (Cavalry +5 attack)

    Below are some match up-specific talking points to get you all started. These are just to give people ideas, you do not need to address them specifically if you do not want to!

    • Two perhaps lesser known civs this week - but no less deadly! For 1v1 Arabia, Malians are performing very well in KotD, and are a great civ all-around on the map with a good economy and broad tech tree. Meanwhile, Burmese would definitely be more of a niche pick, but can still wreck havoc if they can get to Arambai. Do Malians have what it takes to prevent Burmese from getting there?
    • These two civs are a bit weird for team games. Malians are okay in flank and pocket, but not amazing at either, whereas Burmese are a solid pocket - but with Arambai being a risky option. It would seem the Malians are a safer pick in most situations, but Burmese can offer an overall higher power level if you can pull them off. Thoughts?
    • On hybrid maps, Malians are a very common choice due to their wood savings and broad tech tree. However, Burmese do have a solid wood bonus themselves, and actually do possess good options for anything other than archer units. Which do you favor on Cross, Continental, etc.?

    Thanks as always for participating! Next week we will continue our discussions with the Bulgarians vs Spanish. Hope to see you there! :)

    Previous discussions: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

    submitted by /u/OrnLu528
    [link] [comments]

    Thats too much :'(

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 04:13 AM PDT

    seriously, we didnt even pick that map...

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    Something seems off... ��

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:54 AM PDT

    How many vills you need to sustain production of common units

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 02:35 AM PDT

    Below are the vills on a given resource you need to constantly produce some common units. For newer players I hope this will give you an idea of how to distribute your economy and how many production buildings you need. Numbers are rounded to nearest villager, so to ensure truly zero idle time you may consider adding 1 vill to each. Keep in mind wood in particular should have many more vills than these suggest in order to build buildings and farms.

    • To produce vills: 6 vills on food per TC
    • To produce scouts: 8 vills on food per stable
    • To produce skirms: 4 vills on food and 4 on wood per archery range
    • To produce archers: 3 vills on gold and 2 on wood per archery range
    • To produce knights: 6 vills on food and 7 on gold per stable

    So if for example you're going 1 range feudal archers you'll need 6 on food for producing villagers, 3 on gold and 2 on wood for the archers, plus some extra vills for upgrades and buildings.

    On the other hand if you've just hit castle age and you want to go 3 TC that's already 18 vills on food just to sustain vill production. If you then wanted to also make 1 stable knights you would need 24 on food and 7 on gold. That's a lot of farmers!

    submitted by /u/freet0
    [link] [comments]

    Happy first sad after

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:24 AM PDT

    Feudal uptimes in AoE 2: DE multiplayer

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:05 AM PDT

    So a lot of the older build guides that I found suggested 22 pop for scout rush (that's 21 villagers + starting scout) and 23 pop for archer rush builds. But with walling being so prevalent nowadays, even with the more open Arabia map, it seems to me that the meta shifted to even quicker and tighter builds. I know that some civs like Mongols, Lithuanians and Khmer can do something like 18 pop feudal scrush due to bonuses, but I wanted to ask what is the most common uptime for regular civs? I tend to go 21 pop scouts with let's say Magyars or Slavs, and 22 pop maa+archers with Ethiopians or Vietnamese (I always take loom too of course). So my ideal uptime is 9:45 for scouts and 10:05 for maa+arch. Is this still too slow? Should I aim to "shave off" another extra villager? I am currently at around 1250 ELO in 1v1 RM on DE.

    submitted by /u/0b3ryN
    [link] [comments]

    Most and Least Fun Civs?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    There is not a linear relationship between civ win rate and civ play rate. Britons for instance are the second most popular civ on https://aoestats.io/stats/RM_1v1, but have a win rate of 49.90% (over all elo). This could be attributed to perceived strength, but is likely influenced by that many enjoy playing Britons. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Indians are the fourth least played civ, but seventh best on win rate. Both civs have a favoured strategy, but Britons seem to attract more players.

    This raises the following questions:

    1. What are the most fun civs to play?
    2. What are the least fun civs to play?
    3. What defines a fun civ?
    4. What defines a boring civ?
    5. Are weak civs inherently boring?
    6. Are strong civs inherently fun?
    submitted by /u/Carolus94
    [link] [comments]

    Optimal Villager number to build second Cuman TC?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    So the best number of villagers to build new addition Town Centers in Castle Age is 4 if I am not mistaken. But what about when rushing a second Cuman Town Center in Feudal Age? What I do is go up with 21 pop and since it is built 80% slower compared to normal TC build time I usually build it with 7 villagers and place it next to a woodline. What is the optimal number to get production going the fastest?

    submitted by /u/0b3ryN
    [link] [comments]

    Siegue units are best units!

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    Achievements compared

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:17 PM PDT

    Scenario editor is wacky bugged still

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:41 AM PDT

    I was just messing around with a concept and things were going well until I hit the menu button to save it for the third time, the program went to a minimized window, when I maximized the window back to full screen, the language was portuguese, I was zoomed in to the point I could see pixels, mouse and keyboard couldn't move screen (I had to click on minimap, but yeah the zoom was stuck to the point where five units standing abreast covered my entire screen). It was stuck, I went into options and saw everything was turned off somehow, I decided to reset to defaults. Still wasn't working. I went to the main menu.

    Hmm, that's funny, there's no sound? Closed program, reopened it, still no sound. Fiddle with options, open standard game, ok wtf the game speed was set to casual! No sound still, but the zoom was better. Went back to main menu and saw I wasn't signed into my xbox live account (which was weird because I'm always signed in), I signed in and somehow everything was fixed?

    It was a wild ride for sure! For a moment there I was worried I couldn't play even standard games anymore. My scenario though....

    Well, basically it doesn't matter what color I set players to, the game decides player one is blue when I test now, but I want them gray. Every time I test it sets me to blue. Idk how to fix it either, before this whole thing happened it had no problem if I wanted to be gray.

    submitted by /u/SheAllRiledUp
    [link] [comments]

    How to De-Hoang 101

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:58 PM PDT

    Rams block arrows from hitting villagers. Is this explained *anywhere* in the game or manual?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:47 AM PDT

    T-West put out a video called Why Villagers Repairing Siege Don't Get Hit By Arrows | Units Have Three Dimensions. Basically, there is apparently a height mechanic where rams are "tall enough" to block arrows, so if a ram is coming up to destroy your castle and there is a villager behind it repairing, your castle can't hit the villager. Indeed, the Definitive Edition AI takes advantage of this and uses the tactic regularly.

    My question: is this mechanic explained anywhere in the game or manual? Apparently it's been around for 20 years and it seems the vast majority of players were unaware of it until the AI started using it, with some commenters saying it felt "cheap" that the AI was using mechanics that they had no way of knowing about without digging into the game data. So I'm wondering if it was explained but hidden, or if it was never explained.

    submitted by /u/JourneymanGM
    [link] [comments]

    Which mods are used in this pictures? Cubemode for ressources.. but what are the mods for farms, ground texture,..?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:08 AM PDT

    THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED... and I knew that meant I'd won.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    I haven't played in about a year, so my ELO has taken a serious nosedive. I've lost maybe twenty games in a row, until this one. It was me (Inca) vs. Turks. He steamrolled me pretty bad and I was going to resign but figured, what the hell, let's relocate my eco and see if I can't stay alive a little longer.

    Inca get pretty decent skirms with zero range so I just spammed them plus a few gold units where I could, and eventually all the cannons died. His steamroll turned into a miniature desktop candle-powered steam toy.

    And then the winged hussars arrived. Which meant he's out of gold. And I still had three castles and most of my eco, thanks to the Inca stone bonus.

    Anyway I know this isn't the most exciting post but I'm pumped to have finally won a game. I don't imagine it'll be a turning point or anything, but maybe I'll get to go on Low ELO Legends or something.

    submitted by /u/oberon
    [link] [comments]

    Matchmaking MegaRandom - Swastika?!

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    Severe stuttering in-game and freezing on loading screen (Definitive Edition)

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    For what I've researched before writing this post is that this was a common problem when the DE was released, although now that I'm joining this edition, I have tried many solutions that people came out with, none of them helping me at all.

    So basically, from time to time, game starts stuttering at an unplayable rate, running at max 5-10 fps. And god forbid me of trying to leave or start another game, because it will freeze at the loading screen forever until I reboot the whole computer. The weird thing is that it doesnt happens ALWAYS, but is instead very frequent. 1 of 5 games I get to play it at 60 fps without mayor trouble.

    tl;dr : I frequently have very low FPS.

    I appreciate beforehand any help that you all may have. Thank you all

    My computer graphic specs (Also i play at minimum graphic settings) :
    MB : Msi B250M gaming pro.
    Processor : Intel Pentium g4560 Dual-core 3.50 GHz (7th gen).
    Video : Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 ti.
    RAM : Kingston HyperX, ddr4 4gb (x2)

    submitted by /u/TayY4y
    [link] [comments]

    XBox Live and 256x tech?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:55 AM PDT

    I just learned that there was a one time event back in may to unlock this mod through the cheat code going above and beyond which seemingly let modders die out the mod as a dataset because everywhere I look people report the game crashing.

    Is there any way for me to unlock that cheat code? If not that's a huge fuckup on the devs' side, Fallout 76 level. Making game content exclusively available to only a select elite.

    Anyways, XBox Live login seems broken for me anyway: screenshot - what exactly is supposed to happen after clicking the login button in AoE2? I never logged in to XBox Live because I never believed I would have to.

    submitted by /u/cyrusol
    [link] [comments]

    Italians Vs Etiopians

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 01:51 PM PDT

    I had a matchup vs etiopians in arena and out of desperation i tried to go FIMP monk treb and arbs.
    I really coulnt think of a good composition for italians to deal with the insane etio archers and siege.

    Does anyone know of a good italian composition vs good archer civs?

    from the top of my head i can think of going gen xbow and cabalier, genxbow to kill cammels and cavalier to deal with arb, or maybe FIMP into cheap HC and cannons, and try to end it quickly.

    submitted by /u/chabon22
    [link] [comments]

    KOTD3 2nd Groupstage Analysis 1

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 02:57 PM PDT

    Which civ has the best paladins?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    Which civ has the best paladins?

    Only 10 civs have paladins. Out of these 10, my 4 favorites are Cumans, Franks, Lithuanians and Persians.

    Which civ has the best paladin? I say Franks, Lithuanians and Persians.

    https://preview.redd.it/exipha045xs51.png?width=1342&format=png&auto=webp&s=050484ac466ac44b1cb607fdfb520ac05125514a

    submitted by /u/LC0g
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good maps/settings for playing with groups of players with VERY mixed abilities?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    Just looking to get back into the game with some friends but struggling to find a way around the difference in our abilities, 2 of us are very average and a bit out of practice and one has a willing heart but completely sucks at the game despite many hours invested back in the day. I'm open to versus or coop, I'm thinking like a good siege map or something? Open to anything! I'm a bit stumped so all suggestions welcome!

    submitted by /u/Qwertyotum
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment