• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 31, 2020

    Age of Empires II Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 10 Week 17: Chinese vs Japanese

    Age of Empires II Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 10 Week 17: Chinese vs Japanese


    Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 10 Week 17: Chinese vs Japanese

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:25 PM PST

    Last civ match up discussion of the year! And yes, this makes 52 total discussions for all of 2020 - one discussion every single week!

    Hello and welcome back for another Age of Empires 2 civilization match up discussion! This is a series where we discuss the various advantages, disadvantages, and quirks found within the numerous match ups of the game. The goal is to collectively gain a deeper understanding of how two civilizations interact with each other in a variety of different settings. Feel free to ask questions, pose strategies, or provide insight on how the two civilizations in question interact with each other on any map type and game mode. This is not limited to 1v1 either. Feel free to discuss how the civilizations compare in team games as well! So long as you are talking about how the two civilizations interact, anything is fair game! Last week we discussed the Khmer vs Tatars, and next up is the Chinese vs Japanese!

    Chinese: Archer Balanced civilization

    • Start with +3 Villagers; but -50w, 200f
    • Techs cost -10/15/20% in Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age
    • Town Centers support 10 population, have +5 LoS
    • Demolition Ships +50% hp
    • TEAM BONUS: Farms +45 food
    • Unique Unit: Chu Ko No (Powerful foot archer that rapid-fires in quick succession)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Great Wall (Walls and Towers +30% hp)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Rocketry (Chu Ko Nu + 2 attack; Scorpions +4 attack)

    Japanese: Infantry and Naval civilization

    • Fishing Ships x2 hp; +0/+2 armor; work +5/10/15/20% faster per Age
    • Mills, Lumber Camps, and Mining Camps cost -50%
    • Infantry attack +33% faster starting in Feudal Age
    • TEAM BONUS: Galleys +50% LoS
    • Unique Unit: Samurai (Fast-attacking infantry with bonus damage vs other UUs)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Yasama (Towers shoot 2 additional arrows)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Kataparuto (Trebuchets attack +33% faster, pack/unpack 4x faster)

    Below are some match up-specific talking points to get you all started. These are just to give people ideas, you do not need to address them specifically if you do not want to!

    • You all know the drill (not the Mongol UT)! For 1v1 on open maps, Chinese are usually considered to be one of the very best civs out there, whereas Japanese are typically seen as solid, but not outstanding. However, I think this is one of the times we have to ask "how open of a map are we talking?". Chinese can struggle in early Feudal Age, and Japanese are one of the best civs at applying early game pressure. Do you think this match up hinges on the Japanese player doing damage early?
    • On closed maps, Chinese used to be considered top-tier, whereas Japanese were again thought of as somewhat middling. However, since Chinese lost Redemption, their weakness to Onagers has been exacerbated on these types of maps. Japanese do not have SO, but they do have decent Onagers and a very cost-efficient army. How do these civs compare on maps like Arena, Hideout, and BF?
    • In team games, both of these civs would certainly rather be flank than pocket. Both have fully upgraded Arbs and deadly late game tower pushes, the difference lies in the fact that Chinese have a stronger eco and access to Chu Ko Nu and Siege Rams, whereas Japanese are better able to apply early pressure, have top-tier halbs, and super strong trebuchets. Which one do you think is the superior flank?

    Thanks as always for participating all year long! Unfortunately the timing is *slightly* off, as next week we will finish round 10 with the Byzantines vs Mayans. Hope to see you there! :)

    Previous discussions: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

    submitted by /u/OrnLu528
    [link] [comments]

    Choose your fighter

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:07 AM PST

    Converted Original Aoe2 Campaigns To Support 2 Player Coop

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 02:15 AM PST

    A while ago I converted the 4 original campaigns to support 2 player coop so I could play them with my friend for the Definitive Edition. Decided to upload the scenario files for public use.The conversion changes all triggers and ai scripts to react to the additional 2nd player. Some maps are changed slightly, but i keep close to the original map and ai design as possible. For balance reasons I cut the starting units, resources and population limit in half for each player.

    Haven't done extensive multiplayer testing so there might be some broken stuf there still. But if you are interested you can find them here (make sure to read the instructions first):

    Joan of Ark:

    https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/20023

    Saladin:

    https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/20026

    Genghis Khan:

    https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/20027

    Barbarossa:

    https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/20028

    submitted by /u/krambor
    [link] [comments]

    Will the Serjeant be one of the best looking units in the game? Yes.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 04:39 AM PST

    Delirium Cup: Looking Partners for making a really different tournament

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 02:04 AM PST

    Delirium Cup: Looking Partners for making a really different tournament

    Hi everyone. You might know me. I'm Lord_Patito. I'm involved in www.Deepwatersgaming.com, I was admin in Nova's Terra Nova and I'm a serial-poster of balance-suggestion threads.

    I write this post because I've been crafting and refining a VERY SPECIAL tournament (This is my personal project, and is not conected to Deep Waters). I've tested it at an amateur level with my former clan, but now I would like it to be played by Experts/pro/elite players. But first things first.

    What makes Delirium Cup so different? well, basically it's the fact that maps and victory conditions works together. I've recollected maps from both Chrazini and Zetnus (with their explicit permission and colaboration, of course), and I've have matched them with a victory condition that exploits the best quality of that map. Or sometimes several. Capture the relic, regicide, sudden death, DM, Empire Wars… anything goes here.

    By now, I have all the maps I need, plus the handbook (in an advance beta version, just some details are missing) and the event banner (again, in a beta version).

    What do I need? well, basically three things:

    1- Casters: as simple as it's sounds. I'm no caster. And I have no interest in becoming one. So I need someone interested in covering the tournament. The more the merrier.

    2- Patrons: A prize pool will attrack better players to participate. I know people that organize tournaments are often the one who put (at least) part of the pricepool, but again, those people are usually casting the tournament, and thus, gaining subs to their channels. I'm just interested in organizing the game. Of course, anyone putting money for the prizepool will get some kind of promotion for their website/product/twich-youtube channel/ etc, during the streams and in both the banner and the handbook.

    3- Good Players - Good players attracks prize pools, and casters. We all know that. In that context, If you're an expert player (17++ or more) and you fancy the concept of the tournament, please contact me.

    If you're interested in become any of this three things (or all three, why not) please contact me. I will send you the handbook and from there, you can decide if the project seems interesting for you or not.

    I've been contacting some people in private, but since is a project so special, I thought "what the hell" and decided to make some sort of community test and crowdfunding, all in one. I would really love to be able to have some price pool, and also being able to pay something to both Chrazini and Zetnus for their job.

    Of course, I'm organizing the tournament regardless I get any of this three things or not, but getting all this three things would help me to make it happen at a higher competitive level. For those who're interested, you can contact me either through here, or (preferably) by Discord (Lord patito#1970)

    Thank you all for your attention, and I hope you have a Happy new year.May Daut be with you

    submitted by /u/Lord_patito
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Age TC Mod, for better vision under your TC in Dark AGE

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 08:47 AM PST

    Map dodgers of reddit, could you atleast alt+f4 as soon as the map gets drawn, rather than waiting for the timer to run down

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:15 AM PST

    Already wasting so much time for everyone else, just dodge right away and we save like 50sec

    submitted by /u/notnorther
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestion: Select all cavalry/infantry/ranged/siege hotkey - UPVOTE PLEASE

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 02:13 AM PST

    Hi,

    When I want to select all my knights on the map to go raiding I use select-all-military + shift-click knights.

    When I also have other cavalry like light cavalry it gets even more complicated (control-shift-click on all non-cavalry units).

    I have to do this like every 30 seconds whenever a new knight is built, which gets cumbersome.

    Is it possible to have a hotkey option like suggested above? Please upvote so the devs can see it.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TactX22
    [link] [comments]

    Lithuanians Hill Forts masterpiece

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:03 AM PST

    Seems fair

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:27 AM PST

    Any clans out there?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 05:39 AM PST

    Any clans that have members who help teach each other and play some online games together? Looking for a community within the community I guess you could say.

    submitted by /u/lukykunuk
    [link] [comments]

    How do I cancel from global queue like this?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 11:51 PM PST

    Playing online is too stressful for me.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 02:33 PM PST

    I get complete and utter anxiety breakdown my hands start shaking, i get mentally blocked and freeze up, I make horrible choices, i have to take my anxiety medication during a game, i sweat and my heart races and i cant even hold a cup of water steady without shaking. And i generally don't feel good So yeh I don't think i can legit play this game online. This game is just too much for my anxiety, all games should be fun, not stressful. So long AOE may i never break the 800 Elo rating. So i'm just going to stick to offline against AI. Now i know why i don't play RTS Games.

    submitted by /u/TrumptyPumpkin
    [link] [comments]

    Big stuttering lag spikes playing online

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:36 AM PST

    Trying to figure out if this is an issue specific to me or widespread to everyone? My last few games I'm experiencing periodic (once every couple of minutes) big lag spikes where the game freezes for 5-10 seconds, resulting in being virtually unplayable, boat killing half my vills etc.

    If as I suspect it is on my side, any tips on how I can eliminate it?

    submitted by /u/Ketaminedreamer
    [link] [comments]

    Introducing "Open Season" - an open maps only 1v1 tournament!

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 05:25 PM PST

    Introducing "Open Season" - an open maps only 1v1 tournament!

    https://preview.redd.it/ga5n3t6e9f861.jpg?width=963&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=a866037ca5a425be75aef5042b02798011f86b7f

    Good Evening, Reddit! I am closing up my first tournament as a host ever, with 1v1 Nomad starts only. Now it is time to bring my other AOE 2 passion to the table, this time accommodating the 1000-1800 1v1 ELO range, in different brackets, and with a modest prize pool at that.

    There will also be a side event: 16 players, single elimination Bo3 - Arabia random civ only! Open ELO, first come, first serve.

    Prize pool may be subject to change, as 50 % of all donations and subs will go into the final prize pool!

    The overall theme is open maps, hopefully to bring lots of action-packed games:
    Signups open at Akkal's discord: https://discord.gg/Wbzy2VSrKV

    *All games to be cast at https://www.twitch.tv/akkalno

    *Depending on number of participants, if we get a lot, I might not be able to cast all.

    Maps:

    - Arabia (First game always, can not be picked as HM)

    - Serengeti (Standard DE version)

    - Acropolis (DE version)

    - Kilimanjaro (DE version)

    - DC_Dust

    - DC_desert_void

    - DC_Plains

    - DC_Shrublands

    - RBW3_Sacred Springs

    - RBW3_Atacama

    - RBW3_Lowland

    Settings. Standard RM, see my discord and #info for more info on settings and maps and all.

    Starting rounds: Best of 3

    Semi final: Best of 5

    Final: Best of 7

    Rules:

    - No rules on laming, except for straggler trees around enemy TC. Straggler trees that form part of a wall may still be removed and hopped through by the enemy.

    - 1 restart per player per BO3 set, has to happen before minutes 4 in-game

    - 2 restarts per player per BO5 and BO7 set, has to happen before 4 minutes in-game.

    - NO SMURFING: Players will be seeded according to an average of current and max 1v1 ELO. Any participant must have 30 1v1 games played before the signup deadline at January 25th. This is to ensure that a rough estimate of the player's skills can be validated, and to eliminate smurf accounts' potential.

    Timeline: The tournament will start at February 1st, or as soon as brackets have been released. The timeline is subject to change, depending on the number of players signing up, but as a general rule, will last from Feb 1st – March 7th.

    Round 1: Feb 1st – 7th

    Round 2: Feb 8th – 15th

    Round 3: Feb 15th – 22nd

    Round 4: Feb 22nd – 28th

    Round 5: Mar. 1st – 7th

    Any round may be pre-played until the semis / finals, as long as the recorded games are kept hidden, and sent to Akkal by private message.

    Hope to see you around for this open map tournament!

    submitted by /u/Akkal-AOEII
    [link] [comments]

    I did it! finally killed the hardest AI with archer rush, 3rd try is a charm, thanks for all the tips and advices! (successful try starts from 19:09)

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:04 AM PST

    Idea for unit customization

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:15 AM PST

    Today I thought back to the time I played Starcraft II.

    They had this cool feature that you could unlock minimal design changes to your base if you progess in the game. Like your base woun´t display the normal faction logo but a skull or something in that line.

    In AoE II many units have little emblems like the paladins Fleur de Lille or the pikemens lions.

    I have two ideas:

    1. Make it possible to let the player choose a personal emblem which replaces all the other ones or
    2. Make it that every civ has it´s own emblem. So that the teuton paladins have little eagles or maybe iron crosses instead of a frankish Fleur de Lille.

    What do you guys think of this idea? Would you like it?

    submitted by /u/Anjin-93
    [link] [comments]

    openage rC3 annual status (with Q&A)

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 05:46 AM PST

    Resources to get better at the mid/late game

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 05:11 AM PST

    Hi all.

    I recently started playing online after a lot of coop games with friends against the AI and I'm seeing a pattern that I don't know how to break : I do okay during the early game, not attacking much but I can progress quickly and defend against most rushes and keep going, but when big fights in castle age start to happen, I tend to get behind very fast and unable to get much done.

    I've gotten better at keeping my eco going and my army production as well, but I never know wether I should switch my army comp to deal with what my ennemy has, or if I should focus on getting more of what I had in mind and overpower... If I went cavalry and my ennemy makes halbs, it costs so much to then upgrade all the way to arbalests and takes forever...

    Do you have any resources regarding the mid/late game about how to deal with the bigger fights and how to prioritise army techs and things like that ?

    submitted by /u/justinmarsan
    [link] [comments]

    every single time, I swear

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:14 PM PST

    Anyone here like to just create a walled city to farm and gather resources or is that just me?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:31 PM PST

    Tips for a campaign newbie?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:30 AM PST

    I just bought DE after not having played since 2000 or so. I am getting slaughtered. For instance, on level 2 of the Saladin campaign, I have tried two routes. First, I build up some forces and get my economy going, repel the attackers as best as I can, eventually they overpower me and I get destroyed. Alternatively, I wall off my area, build up a large army, and eventually I get a notification that I've been defeated, presumably because one of my allies fell. This game is REALLY hard and I feel like I fundamentally don't understand it. I should be able to get past level 2. It's not so easy to figure out as, say, Warcraft II. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/margarinized_people
    [link] [comments]

    City of Constantinople, 1453 -- Thanks CaptureAge!

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:53 PM PST

    City of Constantinople, 1453 -- Thanks CaptureAge!

    Full map shot of Constantinople during the 1453 siege from my scenario The Last Romans, courtesy of CaptureAge:

    Constantinople, 1453 CE

    It's not a historically accurate reproduction (refer to u/VeniVidiCreavi's amazing reconstructions for those!) because it was designed to be a playable scenario. You can play it yourself via the in-game mod manager by searching for The Last Romans or for PhillySouljah, my xbox name.

    And if you haven't downloaded CaptureAge, definitely check it out! Even if you're not big on watching matches, it is a hell of a tool -- I have fun just watching replays of my games to see how the map control shifts with the AI and for stats nerds, you'll love all the live stats provided in the overlay!

    submitted by /u/FilthydelphiaAoK
    [link] [comments]

    Event Mods keep coming back - Solutions?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:05 AM PST

    Hi there! As many players probably know, there has been for a while and still is an annoying bug causing all unlocked event mods to get re-activated randomly upon the start of the game. No matter how often the mods are unsubcribed from, they keep coming back. Furthermore, the issue is worsened by an additional bug preventing the player from leaving the event mod selection or player profile window at all. This means, once the event mods are unsubscribed from manually, the game has to be shut down via alt-f4 or similar methods and restarted. Chances are of course that upon restart, the mods are all back.

    This has been an issue for a long time now and many people have complained about it here and in the official forums. Unfortunantely, the Devs dont care about it and dont even acknowledge it at all. They havent responded to any of the bug reports in the forums and have not listed the issue in their known issues list. Safe to say, they are not working on fixing this at the moment.

    Has anyone found a consistent way around this yet? I am sick and tired of having to restart the game multiple times until I get lucky and dont get stuck with all this mod crap.

    submitted by /u/Sinapellido94
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment