• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 13, 2021

    Age of Empires II When you’ve watched a lot of videos from SoTL.

    Age of Empires II When you’ve watched a lot of videos from SoTL.


    When you’ve watched a lot of videos from SoTL.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:15 AM PST

    An accurate representation of Indian Elephant Archers

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:25 PM PST

    I saw the other mangonel meme and made my own 11

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:52 AM PST

    Alpha Build of the game from 1998!

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 10:56 PM PST

    Sub 1500 players: don't forget about monks when facing siege!

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 03:02 PM PST

    Good day all! I (1400/2400 elo player) wanted to share a few experiences I've had where I remembered monks are a thing and want to advise lower elo players to make more use of.

    The first was a Black Forest (lol) matchup wherein my team of 2v2 forgot to ban the map (we're no alt-f4 peasants). My side was Burmese (random) vs Celts. I knew the Celts player would go mass siege and was looking through my tech tree while mindlessly booming. I noticed my monk techs are 50% cheaper, and that I get block printing and redemption. Monks with block printing have as much range as a bombard cannon while being cheaper, more accurate in sniping siege, and a lot more terrifying to face as a player with lots of siege since I would get for free a very expensive and dangerous unit. Time and again the Celt player came forward with his army of siege onagers and infantry, and every time I converted two or three onagers and used them to flatten another two or three of his onagers. To stop his hussar or infantry from sniping my monks, I had Burmese champions as my supporting units while I pushed forward with trebs and monks. The Celt player couldn't do anything and after the game was over said he's never played against anyone who beat his army with monks, and expected me to go for bombard cannons.

    The second was a similar situation but on a 1v1 in arabia. I was being pushed in castle age with siege and knights by a Slav player as Incas. My initial reaction was to go for pikes to handle the knights and eagles to handle the siege, but I wouldn't be able to snipe his siege while his more mobile knights were defending them, and I'd have to constantly replace my pikes as his mangonels and scorpions whittled them away. Again, it hit me that Incas have redemption and monks counter both his knights and his siege. I made two monasteries and shifted more villagers to gold, and still teched into pikemen because he could snipe my monks with some scout cav if they were undefended. My monks defended my base from knight raids, and when I had six-seven monks I saved up for redemption. I had lost one tc, but I then pushed his army with my monks and pikes, converting three mangonels and using them to clean up four scorpions. His knights ran back home and by then I had a much stronger eco than him. I dropped a forward siege workshop after stabilizing a bit and raided him with eagles to death.

    Moral of the story, use monks against siege if your civ has redemption and block printing! They can deal with them from a safe distance and give you a ton of value, more reliably than cavalry, fast infantry, or bombard cannons sometimes can.

    submitted by /u/easbr101
    [link] [comments]

    ELO + Pro/Caster +Observations

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:53 PM PST

    Is it just me, or do pros/casters have a big misconception about the skill capabilities of lower ELO levels?

    I float between 1050-1150 and at this level in my opinion most players have:

    The basics of archer/scout/man at arm build down have decent dark age Initial scouting isnt bad can boar lure can scout with aninals can push deer have at least basic hotkeys.

    People also have knowledge of some meme/popularised strategy. I often get Noboru rushed, 2 castle Arambi arena fucked, Goth forward villager etc.

    But often watching T90 LEL or in Hera new 2K series those at a high level who never play this ELO really have a low opinion of the average skills of people at this level.

    Hera for example doesn't expect you to be scouting with sheep at 1k2.

    T90 started to get a bit better and has dropped his LEL streams to lower ELO than 800 etc but he is still quite oblivious IMO.

    Sure, if these guys smurf they will smash all opposition and can exploit the weaknesses we do have at this level like decision making which kind of just reinforces their opinion.

    But as someone grinding at this level I really do feel the level is better than they think.

    submitted by /u/whitesink
    [link] [comments]

    Single-player folks: How have you kept the game fun for years?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 09:59 PM PST

    Just started playing, love it, but don't get much satisfaction from the campaigns. And obvi I would get pulverized online. Do you just try all the different civs and different maps and that's all you need? Does getting way better at the game make it more fun?

    I don't think i'll get bored tbh, just wondering how other people go about it😇

    submitted by /u/byffnw
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to change the default HP for a building?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 06:24 AM PST

    So I know how to change an individual unit's hp with a trigger, however, I was wondering if there was a way to change that type of object's hp every time it is created.

    submitted by /u/forkbomb25
    [link] [comments]

    Which civs have the best Halbs in AoE2?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:07 AM PST

    Elo ranges and time slots

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 12:46 AM PST

    Tl;dr: elo being different at different times of the day is a thing, right?

    Since I just watched Hera looking at those two 1100 elo matches and the discussion about how good players are at that level: it seems to me there's also some variance to it. Personally I feel matches tend to be harder during the evening in cet timezones than during the day (I'm also around 1100 elo and I agree with hera btw, stuff is not clean for me or the people I match up against, why are people whining about that so much?).

    Now in principle, an elo ranking system allows for such distortion as far as I can see. If the player pools for time slots are consistently different, then they will develop something like a within pool elo. Meaning if player A and B often match up during lunchtime, and player X and Y often match up in the evening, but A and B don't meet X and Y, then their rankings will somewhat disconnect.

    Obviously this never fully happens because the player pools are not completely separate, but plausibly the pools are also not completely equal, so their might be a distortion. I get the feeling this is the case, anybody else get that feeling? I saw others say something that points in that direction but I didn't see a post addressing this. Hope this hasn't been discussed 10 times already.

    Btw this could hold for regions too because at least at my level I'm often matched with players near me geographically.

    submitted by /u/olorin-nz
    [link] [comments]

    AoK demo version scenario

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:29 PM PST

    Way back before AoC I was a kid and my parents wouldn't buy AoK for me. So I ended up playing the free demo version over and over again. It only contained the William Wallace campaign and a single "random map" game that was really just a scenario since the map was exactly the same every time.

    It was very limiting: you were limited to castle age and could only play as P1 Britons. The map was coastal, with P2 Celts and P3 Britons being the AI players. The population limit was 75.

    If that doesn't sound like much fun, you're probably right. But damn I played that scenario so many times and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's available somewhere. I'd like to try it again for nostalgia's sake. Also, because I sucked ass at the game I could only beat it on Easy mode. On Moderate I would lose. Now that I'm at least a semi-competent player I'm curious to go back and see just how different it is now.

    submitted by /u/gmwdim
    [link] [comments]

    ❤️ When your flank teammate loves you back❤️

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 02:51 PM PST

    Bulgarians and Crossbow

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:02 AM PST

    So recently I read a lot about how Bulgarians are mediocre in 1v1 because they lack crossbow. I dont dispute that, as crossbow is obviously one of the best and vital upgrades in the game. But my question would be how often similar civs like franks, teutons, slavs, lithuanians even go for archers into crossbows?

    With cav civs I mostly go scouts into knights and only add xbows later as a counter to pikes or as a secondary gold unit. Now for Bulgarians Longswordmen or siege can fill that role. Not perfect as ypu cant really raid with neither of them but serviceable I think..

    I dont watch a lot if 1v1 pro games on streams, only tournament casts, where bulgarians arent picked much. So I dont have a broad picture here. What would you say, how often do pros even go for xbows with "dedicated cav civs"?

    Thx for your answers :)

    submitted by /u/biob1234
    [link] [comments]

    Possibility to make a tower that converts units when it targets them? [scenario editor]

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:55 AM PST

    Hey, so I know in the scenario editor you can change a lot of the attack types of towers, to make them have blast damage, extra damage, pierce atk etc. I was wondering if it was possible to change the attack type to the one that monks use, so that when a tower targets a unit, it will convert it instead (with the usual delay like monks have, to stop it from being too OP. Is there a way to do this?

    submitted by /u/UnBonPrenom
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 Version Issues Joining Friend

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 05:40 AM PST

    Hey guys, my friend and I are having an issue with joining each others private lobbies on our Win10 versions (through game pass ultimate) of AOE2. Oddly enough were able to play a couple days ago together. We are also able to join other friends lobbies. We have both tried restarting the game, restarting the xbox app on pc, restarting the computer, as well as googling if anyone else is having the issue.

    Basically anytime I host a private game and send my friend an invite through the in-game menu or the xbox app, my friend gets a message that says he failed to connect. Has anyone here had this issue before or perhaps any ideas that could help us out?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/GoWings2244
    [link] [comments]

    Castle age in less than 10 minutes! (double base on Budapest)

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:12 PM PST

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWDAwuL1kyc&t=1s

    well pretty fun to see how fast we can go! probably could earn a few seconds by going for boars right away, but double boards chase with 3 villagers is well.. pretty hard :D

    submitted by /u/ilares
    [link] [comments]

    Changes in DE

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 08:50 PM PST

    I am looking to upgrade to DE in the near future and I am wondering if there is a way to find out what changes were made in the game? A few things have always bugged me about the base game one such example would be how the spear line looks like they attack faster than they do or villagers handling unit collision very poorly.

    submitted by /u/Quinn-Sellon
    [link] [comments]

    how is this possible?/

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:53 AM PST

    Ranked nomad, both inca, guy rushes immediately, i get first hit, and die in 1v1, then in my 2v1 i lose one, and he kills last... I was even on high ground for first

    submitted by /u/mjbarrett10
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else use this lazy scouting method?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:41 AM PST

    On Arabia 1v1 I like to find my opponent by tracing the edges of the map. I just plot out waypoints in corners and wait for my scout to find a lumbercamp, deer, or a four tile gold/stone. I'll find one of these probly 80-90 percent of the time.

    The upside is that my scout almost always survives (no traps at my elo). The downside is that it can take a long ass time and prevent an effective drush. Or I won't find his barracks before getting drushed.

    submitted by /u/Zircillius
    [link] [comments]

    Imperial age in less than 15 minutes! (double base on Budapest)

    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 06:10 PM PST

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGR073NZY54&feature=youtu.be

    after a dozens of attempts around 15m30s and 16mn, i managed to go sub 15mn :) pretty useless WR, but was really fun to do!

    submitted by /u/ilares
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment