• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 24, 2021

    Age of Empires II Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 11 Week 7: Aztecs vs Spanish

    Age of Empires II Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 11 Week 7: Aztecs vs Spanish


    Civilization Match-up Discussion Round 11 Week 7: Aztecs vs Spanish

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 10:22 PM PST

    The Montezuma classic!!

    Hello and welcome back for another Age of Empires 2 civilization match up discussion! This is a series where we discuss the various advantages, disadvantages, and quirks found within the numerous match ups of the game. The goal is to collectively gain a deeper understanding of how two civilizations interact with each other in a variety of different settings. Feel free to ask questions, pose strategies, or provide insight on how the two civilizations in question interact with each other on any map type and game mode. This is not limited to 1v1 either. Feel free to discuss how the civilizations compare in team games as well! So long as you are talking about how the two civilizations interact, anything is fair game! Last week we discussed the Italians vs Mayans, and next up is the Aztecs vs Spanish!

    Aztecs: Infantry and Monk civilization

    • Villagers +3 carry capacity
    • Military units created +11% faster
    • Monks gain +5 hp per Monastery tech researched
    • Start with +50g
    • TEAM BONUS: Relics generate +33% gold
    • Unique Unit: Jaguar Warrior (Heavy anti-infantry infantry)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Atlatl (Skirms +1 attack, +1 range)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Garland Wars (Infantry +4 attack)

    Spanish: Gunpowder and Monk civilization

    • Builders work +30% faster
    • Blacksmith upgrades do not cost gold
    • Cannon Galleons have much faster projectiles; can track moving targets better
    • Gunpowder units fire +18% faster
    • TEAM BONUS: Trade units generate +25% gold
    • Unique Unit: Conquistador (Powerful mounted cannoneer)
    • Unique Unit: Missionary (barely even count as a meme unit)
    • Castle Age Unique Tech: Inquisition (Monks convert faster)
    • Imperial Age Unique Tech: Supremacy (Villagers significantly stronger in combat)

    Below are some match up-specific talking points to get you all started. These are just to give people ideas, you do not need to address them specifically if you do not want to!

    • Hard to get more classic a Conquerors match up than this! For 1v1 Arabia, Aztecs have been the king for around two decades, however, they were hit with the nerf bat quite a few times over the years. Nevertheless, their ability to apply pressure early and never let up allows them to remain a top pick for the map. Spanish, meanwhile, never really excelled on Arabia due to their lack of powerful eco bonus and Xbow upgrade. That said, conqs and towers are always deadly, and Spanish are certainly able to thrive if they can withstand the Aztec aggression. How do you see this one playing out?
    • On closed maps, things would still seem to tilt towards Aztecs, although significantly less so, as both civs are quite good on maps like Arena, Hideout, and BF. Aztecs retain their very powerful eco, infantry, siege, and monks, whereas Spanish can comfortably get to Conquistadors, cavalry, and... well pretty much everything except archers and SO. With both civs given a bit of space to breathe, how do things stack up?
    • In honor of Master of Socotra, lets talk about these two on the most aggro of clown maps! Spanish can certainly be quite deadly with any sort of tower play, and yet become very tricky if they are not able to secure stone for Conqs. Aztecs on the other hand, are still able to lame and go forward super effectively, but are completely crippled without gold income. Which civ can better thrive in the madness?

    Thanks as always for participating! Next week we will continue our discussions with the Incas vs Portuguese. Hope to see you there! :)

    Previous discussions: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

    submitted by /u/OrnLu528
    [link] [comments]

    I really like the Sicilians and I'm getting tired of being called a pay-to-win D bag everytime I win...

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 05:39 AM PST

    For the record I lose like half the time. If they go fast castle/scrush and get some rams it's usually bad

    submitted by /u/mean_ass_raccoon
    [link] [comments]

    TFW the game starts and you're suddenly the best player in the world

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 05:13 PM PST

    Wholesome Firt Crusade

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 03:49 AM PST

    Political Columnist Tries AOE2 Again, Doesn't Have Fun and Decides Game Reflects Everything Wrong with Civilization 11

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 07:16 PM PST

    my "breaking 1200 ELO going full random"- Challenge complete

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 01:00 PM PST

    Managed to get 70 onager kills in 28 seconds during a team Amazon Tunnel game. Sit back and enjoy.

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 04:48 AM PST

    Favorite Colors?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 06:03 AM PST

    My most used colors: And each color depends on civilization I play.

    Green: Aztecs, Bulgarians, Ethiopians, Koreans, Saracens, Magyars and Goths. Sometimes Persians and Mongols.

    Yellow: Berbers, Persians and Tatars

    Cyan: Byzantines, Celts, Franks, Malians, Lithuanians

    Purple: Byzantines, Huns, Spanish, Teutons, Turks

    Gray: Magyars, Mongols, Tatars, and Turks

    submitted by /u/hussar269c
    [link] [comments]

    tfw you just about manage to escape being a low elo legend and then...

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 06:32 AM PST

    Just won my first single player extreme ai and it feels so good!

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 03:06 PM PST

    I know it's not a big thing for most, but I haven't played single player since I was a kid and our internet was still dailup.

    I've been playing team games on and off with my boyfriend, but very specific scenarios. Always against the ai, fully walled and fully researched in imperial age before we attack.

    We're now both doing the current event, and while my bf is holding on to our classic strategy, I researched the current meta, clumbsily applied a basic build order and beat the ai in 26ish minutes. It's now two hours later and I'm comfy and relaxed in bed while my bf is still raging and yelling at the game XD. Gold ran out long ago....

    submitted by /u/irrlich
    [link] [comments]

    Esport Research

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 08:47 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I am a researcher at the University of the Sunshine Coast and am looking for esports participants. The research is looking at metacognition and anxiety before an esports competition. You can find the link here:https://uniofsunshinecoast.syd1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3Ibmgrqri0GbUbzhttps://uniofsunshinecoast.syd1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3Ibmgrqri0GbUbz

    Thank you so much for helping with the university research!

    submitted by /u/emkbarrett
    [link] [comments]

    Win rates, balance and the improving and future state of it

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 05:53 AM PST

    I've always been a data nut, actively following the fluctuating win rates and any other data available. After ironing out the release, the devs have seemed to able to tighten the games balance a lot (when comparing to TC, HD or pre-DE Voobly), bringing even the lowest win rates from the 30%s well into the 40%s and tuning down the highest win rate civs. As it is, the game is in the best spot it's been in so far, (except for maybe extremely low ELO TRM-games), a feat the devs deserve appreciation for, no doubt about that.

    Now that we're here, there still are some underperforming civs, with some few clear weak spots that most likely will be tweaked soon (Byzantines, Vietnamese and Saracens for example), but aside from the clear outliers that don't fluctuate around at all, there's the interesting question of what's the end result we should be looking after? What do you think is the maximum stable win rate difference that warrants changes? For instance, is a ~7% difference between the lowest and highest win rate so much that we should have another wave of bigger revamps, or is the safer option of giving minor buffs to underperforming civs until the disparity is reduced the way to go? What balance changes or types of changes would you have the devs do?

    submitted by /u/Earth-Red
    [link] [comments]

    People's favourite AoE2DE Rise of the Rajas Campaign

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 03:35 AM PST

    Continual of my previous poll. It's just a random discussion. It's intrigued me a lot and I want to know what's your favourite. I'll try to make as balanced polls as I can.

    Please vote your favourite campaign from the options below; comment your analysis as well.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/HisBrilliance
    [link] [comments]

    2vs2 tournament "The almighty Caliphs"

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 10:19 PM PST

    We are hosting a 2vs2 tournament with a combined total elo of 2100 for both players and max 1200 per 1 of the 2 players. each player needs to have at least 50 matchs in 1vs1 ranked and he need to be active on Aoe2.net in the 1vs1 ladder. the registry for the tournament start on the 1st of March. and prize pool will be announced on the same day.

    Ps: for anyone who would like to donate toward the prize pool contact me on disc.

    for registration which will be open on 1st of march and any questions send me pm on Discord.
    Discord invite link:
    SvR5H8mnnx

    submitted by /u/Greyraven91
    [link] [comments]

    Linux: Can't make it past splash screen

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 01:12 AM PST

    Hey folks,

    I recently transitioned my laptop over to Pop! OS, and have been attempting to play the game through Proton on Steam.

    Unfortunately, even after ensuring drivers are up to date, that movies folders have been deleted, and that .dll file has been renamed, I am unable to get the game to go past the splash screen.

    I've spent some time hunting the web for a fix and have been unable to find one. I'm hoping that someone would be able to assist me further? :)

    submitted by /u/FinalMathematician42
    [link] [comments]

    How can you win Amazon Tunnel?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 02:15 AM PST

    How can you win Amazon Tunnel?

    Hi all,

    I'm currently having a love hate relationship with the map amazon tunnel. Every time this map is selected I know I'm up to a match of minimal 2 hours. the teams wall up, starting pushing but nothing really happens and in the end, one team breaks through the trees and then the game is over. Any ideas or suggestions to break the status quo instead of going through the trees?

    https://preview.redd.it/4e3eignghej61.png?width=320&format=png&auto=webp&s=7df0b99946dbb8a5fdea6c74203ee0eac525f492

    submitted by /u/Dr_Pacho_32
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a better way to play on iMac?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 05:48 AM PST

    I don't have windows anymore. Last year I was playing on my iMac using parallels, but it's such a bloody ball ache with my computer and I needed to uninstall parallels because it was just messing shit up on my Mac.

    It's not available for iMac last I checked. Is there any better way to play on iMac?

    submitted by /u/Electric_Logan
    [link] [comments]

    Are the Cavaliers worth it for Turks?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 03:16 AM PST

    I don't see many people being too crazy about their knight line. I'd mostly use Hussars unless I have some heavy cavalry to kill.

    On a side note, after a 2v2, I was shocked when someone asked "why don't the Turks get Paladins?"? The Turkish army is already gold hungry and yet he wants to spend another whopping amount on such units?

    submitted by /u/hussar269c
    [link] [comments]

    Farm upgrades with Sicilians

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 06:59 AM PST

    Now I played sicilians a bit lately in 2v2, 3v3 mostly as a cav civ (scouts into knights) and a bit 1v1. And found them to be pretty solid. Granted on a level where solid and consistent play matters much more than eco boni! (11xx 1v1 / 16xx TG elo)

    I thought about eco upgrades and maybe it could be beneficial to do horse collar immidiately after reaching feudal and double bit axe later, after you made scouts. I know its a bit of a sacred cow im butchering here, but what do you think? Could it be a good strat to prioritise farm over wood upgrades as sicilians?

    My reasoning is that you dont have a food bonus and you want to spend as much food as possible on military in early feudal. So 100 for bit axe is roughly 1 scout or BS upgrade. As you need the wood mostly for building farms it may be better to have instead slower wood income but longer lasting farms. So essentially you would "get your wood back later" bc you wont have to reseed them as soon...

    Idk maybe I'm overthinking this a bit 11

    submitted by /u/biob1234
    [link] [comments]

    Scenario Editor Glitch: Does anyone know why my grass and water textures are behaving this way?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 06:45 AM PST

    How to apply early pressure without sacrificing my own eco?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 08:30 AM PST

    I've been trying harder AI difficulties because of the new event and I have been trying to flush without much success. I find that I have trouble with the multitasking and end up forgetting to build villagers or build houses or gather resources or build appropriate tech buildings while I'm in the enemy's base. I feel like at this point I am actually hurting my own economy more than I am hurting the AI's. How do I improve my game? Currently I can beat Hard AI somewhat consistently if I don't flush.

    submitted by /u/medicineboy
    [link] [comments]

    Magyar + Berber + Vietnamese team

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 04:38 AM PST

    How will the Magyars, Berbers and Vietnamese each benefit from this team?

    How good of a trash war can they fare?

    submitted by /u/hussar269c
    [link] [comments]

    Proposing changes for Burgundians

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 08:21 AM PST

    I think we all more or less agree about Burgundians being a civ with a weird design. I have thought about some possible changes and I want to know what do you think:

    - Give them Bloodlines (change Coustillier HP accordingly)

    - Move the Cavalier upgrade to Imperial, as usual

    - Bring back their old proposed bonus (fallen knights return gold) but nerfed. Let's say 10-15 gold per knight

    - Remove the stable tech discount, or nerf it (maybe from 50% to 33% or 25%)

    Vineyards UT no longer convert food into gold, but its "passive" efect of gold generation is enhanced a bit.

    I know Flemish Revolution is a controversial UT, but I sincerely like its design 11. Maybe make it a more all-in tech, cheaper but with no option of keep making villagers (like revolutions in Aoe3). I am not sure about this one, though.

    So we have a mediocre civ in Dark and Feudal (aside cheaper bloodlines and earlier eco upgrades, not very big deals most of the time), which gets better in Castle and shines in Imp and Post-imp. With generic FU Paladins but better than other civs maintaning cavalry production when gold is scarce (they are a cavalry civ after all). We should keep in mind their tech tree is mediocre at best outside the cavalry branch (no arbs, FU skirmishers, supplies, siegue ram or SO). Yeah, their gunpowder units have better attack, but HC miss one armor upgrade, BBC miss siege engineers and C-galeons miss dry dock.

    Do you think this changes would make them OP? Do you think they would be more interesting and fun to play?

    Sorry for bad english :)

    submitted by /u/Neat_Ad3722
    [link] [comments]

    Standard AI vs moderate original AI

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 08:17 AM PST

    Hey guys, quick question. I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything. If I'm repeating an often-discussed topic, I'm sorry. Which is more difficult, an AI on standard difficulty or an original AI on moderate difficulty? My friend believes that AI on standard is the harder challenge. Just wondering if someone has the answer for sure. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/drummer8766
    [link] [comments]

    Who needs the palisade trick when you have this?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 12:10 PM PST

    Here is my shameless 'I hit an elo milestone' post

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 07:48 AM PST

    I know the sub has a lot of these and I'm certainly not trying to brag, or even humble brag. 1300 is nothing to write home about, though I feel pretty good about it. The cool thing about this one is I actually hit 1300 before only to get shitkicked back to the 1100s. I felt like I got there mostly on luck since I didn't actually beat anyone at the 1300 level. I have clawed my way back several times the last 3 months, being one win away only to have my dreams shattered by a hole in the wall, a critical misclick or a surprise FRANKS tower rush. This time, though, I soundly beat a 1350 player (max elo over 1400) so hopefully it means I am actually at this level now.

    The game was a Bulgarians war. I picked and he went random, which I think was a main reason I won. I knew exactly what to do (20 pop maa, build eco as if scout rushing and adapt from there). He seemed to go man at arms into archers but w a standard 22 pop, 2 on gold before going feudal type of build. The pressure I put on did a lot, even though the k/d was very close. I followed up with a few scouts forcing spears, more idle time and a couple vill picks. I used that to get a faster castle time. The game was over in 23 minutes w the opponent still in feudal. He was full walled on the way up but surrounded by knights with good upgrades.

    Anyway, hope this motivates folks. I didn't do anything crazy to get better. To the extent I improved (and I obviously have a long way to go), it was just getting experience, analyzing losses, and understanding my strengths and weaknesses.

    submitted by /u/lordrubbish
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment