• Breaking News

    Friday, March 13, 2020

    Age of Empires 3 OPrichniks

    Age of Empires 3 OPrichniks


    OPrichniks

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    My Experience facing an extreme version of Halberdier+Falconet combo

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 09:12 AM PDT

    Disclaimer: The primary reason for this post is to apologize, commend, and thank for a good game as I didn't get a chance in-game or post game.

    Background: I lost 13 of my last 15 2v2 games. My last 3v3 was disastrous as well as I let a French player boom to age 5 who killed it with Imperial Cav against age 4 army. The current game is a 2v2 against two friends Dutch (private) & French (private). They both are from same clan & it's pre-made team. The map is unknown and started in nomad age. My ally (corporal) and I (Sgt) are both Japanese. Its a low hunt map and with a nomad start we get a combined 9000 food less as we each get one cherry orchard less and 32-36 of total shrines would stay hunt less. Even though our ranks indicated a lopsided match up, we were playing against a huge handicap. We agreed to the terms and the opponents accepted/welcomed the challenge.

    Strategies at play:

    I was expecting a hard rush or a weak boom. Hard rush since its a game against a pre-made team. There was trade route that divided the map vertically in half. I expected a weak boom since it was a nomad start and the opponents quickly shifted town to get closer to each other and spent time walling up. Since it appeared to be the latter, I went to Industrial quick with just 10 Yumi trained thus far.

    There was a small skirmish mid map and we noticed several canons behind enemy walls and a handful of Halberdier & Musketeers. Sensing that we couldn't break the walls with ease with my Samurais, I walled up and went Imperial. French player went Imperial but Dutch player stayed Industrial. Soon enough we are completely engaged mid map against 20+ Falconets guarded by 50 Halberdier and 50 Musketeers & several Landsknecht. My ally could never go Imperial as his eco could barely keep up with what faced.

    For the rest of the game, all four quarters of the map were walled up. My ally and I occupied one quarter of the map each and the opponents were boxed in third quarter. I made sure that fourth quarter, even though walled up by enemy, was never occupied. All the fight was now happening in the mid map.

    Their strategy was to push with a large number of falconets guarded by a sea of anti-cav heavy infantry.

    Apology:

    Cavalry mass was just not enough with huge number of Anti cav heavy infantry we faced. Facing a good artillery fire with light infantry trying to counter heavy infantry backed by artillery is not easy either. I did my best to give my ally enough time to make complementary units and crawl back into the game. I made yumi+Yabusame and he made Ashigaru+Naginata and complemented each other. We both made Flaming arrows, mortars etc.

    Even though I praised my opponents in-game once after they started winning a few initial exchanges, I noticed wave after wave of Falconets and never ending barrage of Halberdiers, to the point that it appeared the opponents were cheating by spamming units out of thin air.

    I apologize to my ally for not being as good a communicator as my he was.

    I started saying "unusually high number of falconets is not possible in age 4, you are cheating". I cried fowl several times and went close to resigning feeling cheated. But my ally kept me in game with prompt communication on units in queue and timely msgs saying "we got this" etc. Had I rage-quit, I would have not seen it through and ruined a good game prematurely.

    I apologize for accusing my opponents of cheating.

    My opponents were just good in retraining lost units very quick, as quick as I could with my Daimyos. If they were cheating, so was I. I never liked any of my opponents calling me a cheat when they saw unusually high number of Hatamotos. To be honest, spamming Hatamotos happen very late in the game, in age 5 after all the extra gold is converted to export. But I couldn't tell how the Dutch player was able to spam high number of Falconets even in age 4 with Just 8 banks & two factories.

    As it turns out, the units are not getting spammed out of thin air, they are coming out of military builds, once those builds were down, the speed of retrain slowed and once they ran out of resources, spamming completely stopped.

    When it was all said and done, we faced 895 Harberdiers, 116 Falconets, 1071 Musketeers, 40 Gatling guns, 102 Landsnechts and 224 Gendarmes and some more units but not even a single Dragoon, Ruyter or Skirmisher.

    End-game:

    Finally, when the opponent's walls were down and our armies at the foot steps of enemy eco, Dutch player revolted and made a last stand with Militia and gattling guns and French player fought with Gendarmes until he ran out of resources.

    I felt very bad for accusing my opponents of cheating when I found no evidence of it in post game stats. As it became evident, French player fur traded and gave all his coin (31000) to Dutch player which added to already high coin income to be able to spam more than usual Artillery. It took me a while to realize this and everyone left the game to play another and I didn't even get a chance to thank for a good game.

    Takeaways:

    • With all the hundred different things that happened, I say it's not cheating if the game legally allows a feature. Fur trade, resource tribute, unit spam, nothing is a cheat in itself.
    • Concealing your strat from the enemy is also not cheating.
    • My opponents never bothered to defend themselves by chatting back. Maybe, they thought they were cheating due to their premeditated actions, still, no harm in talking to your opponents. It's better than being accused of something you are not, at least.
    • Once a unit combo is countered, it's wise not to double down and spam more units of the same combo. I would have not accused my opponents had they switched to Ruyters+Gendarmes+Artillery to counter our units. At the very least, they should have trained some Skirmishers.

    Here's the game reference if anyone is interested. http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameStats.aspx?md=&GameID=d46c0aff-f2ba-47c4-bcff-23b535686163

    submitted by /u/vindiansmiles
    [link] [comments]

    360/200 Unit count with Portuguese (ESP gameplay)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 07:40 AM PDT

    Village Defenses Card China

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    The Village Defenses Card for China says that your villagers can shoot from villages when garrisoned. Does anybody know what are the dynamics behind it? Does it stack with the amount of villagers like the TC?

    I'm thinking on adding this card for my FF to have stronger defenses (plus boxer revolt), what has been your experience with it?

    submitted by /u/TheCrucified
    [link] [comments]

    Counters to Gendarme

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:48 PM PDT

    Can someone give me effective counters to Gendarme spam when playing Russia or literaly every other nation except japan.

    As russia the only anti cav units are Halbedier and Cav archer.

    Halbedier gets destroyed by gendarme like they are nothing and Cav archers are almost in every way inferior to Dragoon. Also they are really not that effective. You need for like every 50 gendarme swarm around 100 cav archers. Seeing your eco cant hold on for that long when gendarm keeps comming because of the instant train time.

    Gendarmes are just so broken. Hope they fix it in DE. Gendarme is almost the only unit that can kill his counters effectivly. it has massive hp, massive attack and plus to that area damage. A unit should have all 3 boxes checked.

    submitted by /u/Gewoon__ik
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment